Dell forum

Question

Dell Inspiron N5110 Starting Issues

by Mwagusi / August 29, 2013 9:40 AM PDT

I have an issue starting my DELL laptop. I was using it perfectly 24 hours ago in the US, but just flew home to Ireland with it in my hand luggage and removed it this evening to find that it wouldn't start up properly.

When I press the start button it sounds as though it is starting up but it doesn't boot properly and it goes quiet after a few seconds. The screen stays completely black. The three lights on the keyboard do light up in a sequence.

They light in the following sequence:
Left
Middle
Right
Middle
Left (Stays On)
Middle (Stays On)
Right (Stays On)
They all stay on for a second together and then all turn off completely.

The left and right lights on the front left of the laptop are also both on constantly.

Once the computer is on, when I press on switch the computer turns off instantly without any shutdown process.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the issue might be and how to solve it? I feel there may be an issue with the motherboard but if someone could help out that would be of great help. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron N5110 Starting Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron N5110 Starting Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have you tried the generic reset
by itsdigger / August 29, 2013 9:46 AM PDT

here>>Reset a laptop. (Generic version)

by R. Proffitt Moderator - 9/29/09 10:21 AM

In Reply to: Welcome to the Laptop Troubleshooting Forum at CNET. by R. Proffitt Moderator

Many laptops have a reset feature. Some don't but as not all machines have it, here's something to try when a laptop won't start. Remember this is generic, doesn't apply to all machines but when faced with a non-starter dead laptop, why not try this?

Ready?

1. Remove all connections to the laptop. (USB, power, etc.)
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the power on button for 1 full minute.
-> Explainer. Yes, many machines only require 10 or 15 seconds but this reset instruction is generic and I've found people hold the button for 9 or 14 seconds so let's write the full minute.
4. Let go of the power on button.
5. Slip in the battery pack.
6. Plug in the power to the laptop and to the wall.
7. Do not plug in any other devices.

Try the power on button!

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
facing the same problem
by rayaza / February 21, 2014 7:59 PM PST

my screen is black, and only the lights for wifi and power (out of 4 lights) worked.
but after following ur instructions.
there was only one improvement. the battery bulb blinked. what do i do now?

Collapse -
This actually worked!
by Kevin La / October 28, 2015 7:47 AM PDT

I've known about this fix because I tried it on a laptop years ago but I didn't think to try it again because it rarely is the problem.

Well today was the day! I had a black screen, frozen, solid white line / prompt on the screen and couldn't go to safe mode or boot from another device. Nothing was working. Couldn't even run diagnostics from the F12 screen.

Powered off the machine. Took out battery. Held the power button down for a minute for good measure and low and behold the machine started to show life! This time the prompt was blinking and the machine began to whir and spin up! It's alive! Now in Recovery Mode and hopefully smooth sailing from here.

Thank you for posting the question and thanks Bob for the advice!!

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2015 11:09 AM PDT
In reply to: This actually worked!

This procedure has worked so many times that it has to be in any tech or owners book of tricks.

That is, while it's not going to bring back every device, you know why I put it up for all to see.

Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.