Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Inspiron E1505, Inspiron E1705, or Latitude D820?

by rockn_1234567 / May 16, 2006 2:59 PM PDT

I'm about to work in Japan for approximately 2 years and I want to buy a laptop that I can use over there as well as here in the states. I've been looking around CNET and PCWorld and it seems like Dell offers the best customer support and customization and the biggest bang for the buck.

Im leaning more towards the Latitude D820, it seems like its better than the Dell Inspiron models because of the fact that it can connect to any 802.11 a, b or g network and a thing that constantly scans for wireless hotspots and notifies you whenever it detects one. But then I see that the Dell Inspiron E1705 is one of the most popular laptops. I guess I'm looking for something that can replace my desktop PC but I can take with me wherever I want.

Im also looking at anything under $2000, what should I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron E1505, Inspiron E1705, or Latitude D820?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron E1505, Inspiron E1705, or Latitude D820?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Battery Life
by rockn_1234567 / May 16, 2006 3:06 PM PDT

Oh I also noticed that the D820 with a 9-cell seems like it can last around 5~6 hours which is a plus. Not sure if the Inspiron models can last that long.

Collapse -
Some info
by jelgert / May 16, 2006 8:03 PM PDT

About the E1505 read ghost post on it here he will fill you in on anything you want to know about that system I believe you would get comparable battery life out of that system though. If your going with the larger sceen though like the E1705 realize that this is going to cost you in battery life and price for similar equipment. For example the max battery life for the E1705 I would expect would be 3 hours. So just comparing the E1505 with the D820 in looking at them side by side myself the D820 looked like a better pick for you than the E1505. The D820 looks more like a buisness computer and the E1505 more like a media center. Also the D820 seemed to offer a lot more upgradability than the E1505 which is good if you want to pick out exactly goes into that system. So my advice to you would be to go with the D820 and use your extra money if you want to upgrade on your graphics card, processor and hardrive in that order there about. Ohh and if you want perfomance closer to your pc go for a hardrive with 7200rpm if battery life is a little bit more important go with the 5400rpm.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by rockn_1234567 / May 17, 2006 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Some info

Thanks for the insight!Yeah the D820 really does look a lot better when you line it up with the E1505. You make a really good point with the larger screen really eating up the battery life with the E1705. Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?