Laptops forum

General discussion

dell inspiron e1505 display

by ohbuddy18 / January 4, 2007 11:23 AM PST

I have a brand new Dell inspiron E1505 with a 15.4" display. The high definition/high resolution stuff I view on the display wtih no problem. All the other "normal" stuff (like images on websites, icons in windoes etc...) are pixelated and choppy. Is there a way to change a setting or something to help fix this?

Thanks. My info is below

DISP: 15.4 inch UltraSharp? Wide Screen WXGA+ Display with TrueLife?
MEM: 2Gig
HD: 120G
VIDEO CARD: 256MB ATI MOBILITY? RADEON

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell inspiron e1505 display
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell inspiron e1505 display
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My display settings are
by PudgyOne / January 4, 2007 12:29 PM PST

1280 x 800

Highest(32bit)

and I have sharp images. Using a Dell Inspirom B130 15.4" screen also.

Rick

Collapse -
dell inspiron e1505 display
by sharonmz / January 7, 2007 4:42 AM PST

I have EXACTLY the same issue. I was on the phone with Dell yesterday for 2 hours. They figured out that is IE related (6 or 7) - Firefox doesn't give the same problem. I'm waiting a callback from them as to how to fix it.

Will post when I hear more.

Collapse -
good luck
by ohbuddy18 / January 7, 2007 11:07 AM PST

Good luck with Dell!

I, too, downloaded Firefox, and the web surfing problem was fixed.

As far as low-resolution photos and icons within windows, no solution yet.

I would appreciate a response when you hear anything back from Dell. I will keep you posted from my end.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Figured out the fix for this - Windows DPI setting.
by Surly McGee / January 13, 2007 9:42 AM PST
In reply to: good luck

Right-click the desktop and choose Properties. Choose the Settings tab and then the Advanced button. Change the DPI size from Large Size (120 DPI) to Normal Size (96 DPI). Choose OK until you are at the desktop. You may have to reboot. All of your icons will become tiny, which is to be expected at 1680x1050. You can go to Appearance->Effects in the display properties and check the Use Large Icons box. This will fix the icon size, but the font will be small. I went to Appearance->Advanced and changed the icon font size to 11. I then changed the horizontal and vertical spacing to 55. You can use whatever you like. If the icons do not space correctly, right-click the desktop, uncheck Arrange Icons By->Align to Grid and then recheck it. The icons should then take the new settings. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
If you feel that
by PudgyOne / January 7, 2007 11:51 AM PST

this is an IE 7 problem, you can always go back to IE 6.

Go to the control panel and remove Internet Explorer, it will then revert back to IE 6.

If you have any problems reverting back to IE 6, please look in the browsers forum.

Rick

Collapse -
IE 6 as well as IE7
by sharonmz / January 7, 2007 7:54 PM PST
In reply to: If you feel that

It is a problem with both versions of Internet Explorer.

And assuming it worked with IE6 -- I just bought the machine. If it doesn't work with IE7... but all my older ones (all Dell) do.. then there is a problem that Dell needs to fix.

Collapse -
but...
by ohbuddy18 / January 7, 2007 9:51 PM PST
In reply to: IE 6 as well as IE7

your older machines do not have the newest graphics cards and displays. which graphics card do you have? did you upgrade it when you ordered it?

Collapse -
On my E1505 ...
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / January 8, 2007 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: but...

I don't have this problem.

I have a 1280*800 resolution controlled by an ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 and I'm running IE7 since the Beta is out ...

But I'm not suprised by this IE7 problem ... It's a Microsoft software ...

Wink

Collapse -
same card?
by ohbuddy18 / January 8, 2007 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: On my E1505 ...

do you have the 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory? Is your display a little "fuzzy" at the resolution you listed? I tried to change it to that resolution, and everything was slightly blurry. My standard resolution is 1680 x 1250. That's where I was having the pixelation problem. (the one that firefox drastically improved.)

Collapse -
Same card
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / January 8, 2007 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: same card?

I have the ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 ( 128 MB On-Board VRAM + 128 MB Shared VRAM ).

Running under ATi Catalyst 6.12 display drivers.

Under the native resolution, I also get a "fuzzy" image. A display is made tyo work at its native resolution. Mine is 1280*800. You native resolution is always the highest resolution available by right clicking on the Windows desktop -> Properties -> Settings tab -> Screen Resolution. Make sure that the resolution cursor is completely on the right side.

Collapse -
native
by ohbuddy18 / January 8, 2007 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Same card

my native resolution is 1680 x 1050. I also have 1440 x 900, 1400 x 1050, 1280 x 1024, and, then 1280 x 800.

Is 1280 x 800 the highest resolution you can get?

Collapse -
E1505 update - going back
by sharonmz / January 8, 2007 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: native

I have the same card as ohbuddy18 - the 256 mobility radeon x1400 hypermemory. Can't change the resolution to anything lower or the display is totally whacked. Dell tech support tried that on Saturday.

Dell Customer Support did not call when they said they would - 3 hour window Sunday afternoon. Did not return my 2 messages either. So.. I have no update from them as to how to fix it. I refused to leave another message today. I am returning the laptop. Took about 10 minutes to get the return authorization number --- they clearly don't care to keep customers. Took about an hour more to get them to agree to pay to pick up the laptop. They didn't get that a credit wasn't going to work since I won't be buying Dell again.

By the way, Dell return policy is now 21 days! So ohbuddy18 I'd recommend getting on the phone with them ASAP to try to get the answer.

Collapse -
Pixelation
by samkh / January 8, 2007 10:34 AM PST

The issue isn't with drivers or which vendor. All LCD screens have a native resolution and pixelation occurs whenever you "stretch" pixels to achieve non-native resolutions. Don't want pixelation but like to change resolution when watching movies/photos vs. text? But a CRT monitor.

Collapse -
Display was native
by sharonmz / January 8, 2007 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: Pixelation

The resolution was native -- out of the box from Dell. The pixelation wasn't the entire screen just certain images on webpages in Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
Please see my response below for the fix.
by Surly McGee / January 13, 2007 9:49 AM PST

I'm not sure I responded to right post - first time I used this forum. My fix for this is below.

Collapse -
OK, I'm an idiot - this put the post at the bottom.
by Surly McGee / January 13, 2007 9:56 AM PST

Alright - I see how this works. I tried responding to the first message. If you respond to the first message in the thread, it puts the reply at the bottom. So my response is earlier in this thread, not below. Anyway - I hope it helps.

Collapse -
Oh my God
by dellmeanspain / January 17, 2007 1:39 PM PST

I am SO upset with Dell. The process of buying my laptop and contacting them with issues has been HORRIBLE. I get the feeling that they don't really care about their customers.

I just bought the same laptop that you guys are talking about and I have the very same problem. Graphics within Windows are awesome but when I go online they look very bad. I'm using Firefox for the time being. Please let me know of the proper resolution for this issue... if Dell ever tells you.

But this is not the only problem I have with this Inspiron E1505. It is VERY, VERY noisy!!! Something withing the case sounds like a wet flat tire that is loosing the air slowly! I don't know what it is and it is extremely annoying. I was on the phone with Dell for about 1 hour today trying to find out what's wrong. They made me remove both the DVD drive and the hard drive and it looks like the 120GB drive got damaged.

What a headache! They will send me a new hard drive which should arrive next Friday.

I don't recommend Dell products or services. They really suck. If I have one more problem I'll just send the stinking computer back to them.

Collapse -
good luck
by ohbuddy18 / January 17, 2007 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Oh my God

sorry to hear all that - i would have sent the computer back already. nothing like waiting for 2 weeks to receive what you think is an awesome machine to find out it's a POS upon opening.
Read back through the postings to try those different solutions for the graphics problem. I tried the one where I changed the icon size and all that and it didn't really do anything except make my icons on my taskbar small.
I can deal with low resolution graphics on my icons, now that I downloaded Firefox, the web is clear and that's all I really need as I work on the web alot.
Everything else is OK so I'm just going to deal with low-res icons until vista comes out or something.

thanks and good luck.

Collapse -
This will fix the issue - I have used it more than once.
by Surly McGee / February 1, 2007 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: good luck

Right-click the desktop and choose Properties. Choose the Settings tab and then the Advanced button. Change the DPI size from Large Size (120 DPI) to Normal Size (96 DPI). Choose OK until you are at the desktop. You have to reboot for the changes to take effect. If you want larger icons, see my previous post.

The pixelation issue has to do with the extremely high native resolution of the display and how Dell tries to be 'user-friendly'. Setting your resolution to 1680x1050 creates very small icons, etc. This is normal for all monitors. Dell tries to 'fix' this issue by changing the default DPI in the display settings to 120 DPI. The default in Windows is 96 DPI. This causes some pictures and icons in Windows to pixelate. Internet Explorer is tightly integrated with Windows, so it adopts this setting as well. Firefox does not.

Why does Dell do this? To make images and icons larger so that people can see them easier while keeping the sharpest native resolution. I can't tell you how many users complain that icons are too small at 1024x768, much less 1680x1050. I guess Dell considers the pixelation the lesser of 2 evils. They should at least let their support know about this, which is the real issue.

I have found the key to talking to any support personnel (Dell or other)is to nicely stand your ground on an issue. Sometimes you have to ask for a supervisor, and sometimes you have to hang up and call again to get a different support person. I have found that purchasing the Gold support from Dell really helps, but not everyone wants to (or can) spend the additional money.

It sucks that to compete, they feel they have to cut costs in customer service.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?