Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell inspiron 8200

Hi all,

I've read so many things on this, i dont even know where to look
anymore. It's the same problem that many of us had experienced. I have a inspiron 8200 for reasons that i still dont know, it recognizes my 90 watt ac adaptor as a 70 watt adaptor. It runs on batter just fine. However, with the computer thinks that it only gets 70 watt power supply, the battery wont charge. i've heard that it can be fixed by replacing the motherboard, but $600 is just not in my budget right now. I've also read something about replacing the power source.

Here's something else i've found a while ago

"If the laptop works on battery, my guess is that the inline ceramic DC fuse is open. This is a small oblong block be 1/4 inch long, 1/8 inch high and wide, surface mounted very near the AC adapter jack. This can be bypassed with a suitable Picofuse, be 8 amps, soldered across the conductive ends of the existing fuse case. I would only look into this if the warranty is expired. It is an easy fix, be $2 for the replacement fuse, be $10 for silver epoxy if it risky to solder in the area. I've done this on three laptops which are still functioning - only one with the epoxy. I wish I knew the mechanism for the DC overload, one of the laptops had a water spill, the other two are mysteries to me."

1. I would attempt this if there was some sort of more "cookbook" instruction from anyone who has ever attemped the repair.
2. If someone can point out where i actually came across this
posted aritcle, that would be helpful.
3. Or if any of you had good experience with any reliable shop that could fix this for cheap, please let me know.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell inspiron 8200
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell inspiron 8200
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Dell inspiron 8200

In reply to: Dell inspiron 8200

Notebook repairs, if you are serious are not done by cheap chopshops. If you know how to solder, use a voltmeter, oscilloscope and such, then minor problems are easy to solve. Otherwise its off to Dell or its maker to fix it proper.

Others collect dead laptops from ebay and other places and try to cheaply find good boards and displays to match up.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Dell inspiron 8200

Hi thanks for your help. There are people selling repair manuals for dell on ebay, will these be helpful?

I've checked the price on motherboard on ebay, it's still 250. That is much better than 600 that dell will charger, still that's a big chunk of change.

thanks

Collapse -

For 99 out of 100 people I meet in the last week, such a manual would be useless. They don't have a solder iron, voltmeter, scope or electronics background to use the information. Do you?

Bob

Collapse -

I suppose i dont; however, that does not deter me from trying. what's the most that can happen. I fry the cpu and say goodbye to the computer? =)

Collapse -

You can lose the LCD. What may be worth more than the CPU/mainboard.

If you are serious, then you get it fixed if the numbers don't exceed 1/2 of new laptop or try to find a busted LCD laptop of same model where you can put your good LCD on it.

Bob

Collapse -
Power Board

In reply to: Dell inspiron 8200

I have the same problem with my 8200. My research in other forums shows that the power board may or may not fix the problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.