Laptops forum

General discussion

dell inspiron 700m or fujitsu lifebook s6231???

May I please have your opinion on my upcoming purchase of a Notebook? I am stuck deciding between the Dell Inspiron 700m and the Fujitsu Lifebook S6231. Both seem to fit my needs on paper, but since it is a big purchase for me, I'd like your opinions on the overall performance of each. I have seen the Lifebook at the store and like most of it, including the ports in the back of the notebook. The problem with Dell is that I cannot see the 700m anywhere before I purchase.

I like the size and weight of both. I will most likely want to equip with the same, 1.8 mhz processor, 1GB ram, and 80GB HD. I need wireless for here and use in South America also. I have always bought Dell machines and never purchased a Fujitsu, but the Fujitsu seems to fit my needs exactly at my price range of $1600 or so. I don't want to buy the Fujitsu if the Dell is just as good. I have owned 4 dell desktops with good track record.

Also, anything new coming out in this class of notebook in the next few months?

Thanks for any feedback. It is much appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell inspiron 700m or fujitsu lifebook s6231???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell inspiron 700m or fujitsu lifebook s6231???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Waiting for Liquid LCD

In reply to: dell inspiron 700m or fujitsu lifebook s6231???

One of my friends has Fujitsu s6231 and is very happy with that machine, the screen size 13.1inch and no dead pixels, very portable as well.The battery life is good if you are reading , editing etc.

This model is now not available in Australia so I did not go for it. I have opted for Dell Inspiron 700m and going by the posts here I should have ordered a Dell branded Mug as well to collect the liquified LCD Grin

It should arrive within a day or two and I will post about the clicks and ticks of hard drive, and, whether I can use it as a Lap heater Happy

Pankaj

Collapse -
That REALLY is a rare occurance

In reply to: Waiting for Liquid LCD

Not to defend Dell needlessly, but that is a REALLY rare defect that Dell has little control over. They get their LCDs from another manufacturer (eg Samsung) and they QC them but they can only do so much.

Now the way they handled that poor fellow's problem was bad and I hope he gets what he needs. But I wouldn't be afraid of buying a Dell over any other brand because of a rare LCD manufacturing defect.

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: Waiting for Liquid LCD

Thanks to you guys who gave me the feedback. It is much appreciated. I spent a lot of time researching opinions and have found the Fujitsu to best suit my current needs so it's on it's way to me from the manufacturer. It was hard to not buy the Dell since I have owned 4 Dell's with zero problems in the past and I'm typing on one right now. We'll see in a year or two if I made the right decision. Fingers crossed on the unknown reliability of Fujitsu at this time and it's higher price point.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Was it Fujitsu or Fujitsu/Siemens?

In reply to: Thanks!

Just curious.

Collapse -
fujitsu

In reply to: Was it Fujitsu or Fujitsu/Siemens?

Ryan T. Even though I know it's Fujitsu-Siemens, Siemens was not mentioned in the marketing or sale of product anywhere. Thx.

Collapse -
Everyone I know...

In reply to: Thanks!

who has a Fujitsu is very happy with it, so I'm sure yours will be fine.

Wink JDM

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!