Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Inspiron 6400 : A Good Choice ?

by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 7, 2006 10:42 PM PDT

Hi !

No ... I didn't buy my laptop ! I know ... I'm starting to be a little bit annoying ... But please, forgive me about this Wink I really like want to don't regret it after my buying !

Now, I'm looking on something a little bit more high-end than the Compaq Presarion V200Z. But I have three possibilities :

1. I can buy this Dell Inspiron 6400 with maybe a good deal because the company of my father is associated with Dell so maybe I can have a good deal :

Core Duo T2300
Windows XP Home
15.4 " XGA Display with True Life ( I like the glossed finish of a laptop screen )
8X DVD Burner
ATi Mobility Radeon X1400
6-cell battery
INTEL PRO/Wireless 3945
Nylon Backpack Carrying Case
Carbon Fiber QuickSnap Cover
1 year warranty
Surge Protector included

2. I can wait for the AMD Turion 64 X2.

3. I can buy this second-hand laptop from my father for a riduculous price :

Pentium M 725 Chipset 855PM
1024 MB RAM
ATi Mobility Radeon 9000 32 MB AGP 4X
DVD Burner

I also want that this laptop is turned towards the future one and not only over the present. It is a primary importance for me to have the Media Card Reader because I intend to make photo editing with this laptop but I does not know if it has this option on the 6400. I will do a little play with, like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighters or Need For Speed Most Wanted.

I want replacement a deskop but 15.4 " version .

If the BIOS update will be available, I will probably change the Yonah processor for a MEROM within 1 year and half or 2 years whereas the prices drop out because I believe that this portable can have a long lifespan.

Thank you very much and once again, forgive me for my determination Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 6400 : A Good Choice ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 6400 : A Good Choice ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by jake1929 / April 7, 2006 10:59 PM PDT

The Inspiron 6400 does have a Media Card Reader, check out the description at Dell's website.

I ordered this laptop with a very powerful configuration and I'm expecting it to arrive any day now. I'll post about it when I try it out.

Collapse -
I agree and go with the 6400
by jgvillan / April 9, 2006 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I would go for a new 6400, rather than going with a refurbished one (not matter how cheap). Here's why..

You mentioned photo editing, the Duo core would be more effecient for what you need, and it does have a media card reader built in for this purpose.

With that said, the Duo core is more efficient in battery life, which means that running off battery....it would last alot longer than the older one that you are considering.

Last, but not least, with a brand new one, you would have the option to purchase an extended warranty on it. That is something that I would suggest very strongly. Laptops move around alot (just the way the are) and sometimes fails/breaks. With extended warranty (3-4 years), you can have peice of mind that if it breaks, you dont have to let go of some serious $$$$$ to get it repaired.

Hope that this helps, and good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you very much for your opinion !
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 10, 2006 5:15 AM PDT

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same idea, but I wasn't sure.

Now, all depends of my parents ... I have the money to buy it, but I need to have their agreement.

But didn't plan to have an extended service plan. I just move my computer a little bit in the house or when I go to see my relatives, about 1 time a month and I really take care of my thing ( especially when it is me which pays them ! ).

Thank you for your opinion !!!! It was really important for me !

Collapse -
Another little question ;)

I know that the Core Duo of Intel isn't 64 bits enabled. So I was aksing me this question :

Is there a big disadvantage for my utilisation to don't have the 64 bits technology ?

I talked to a man in my family who works in computers and he said that Core Duo doesn't worth is price if it's not 64 bits. I would like to have your opinion about this point.

Thank you once again !

Collapse -
I'm surpirsed to the point of being stunned that
by togus / April 10, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

you would consider a 32 bit solution. For 6 months now you've been an evangelist for 64 bit processors on this forum, and, for a young ESL guy, I've always thought a pretty darned eloquent spokesman for the AMD approach. Seriously, you have made many good points. Also, I think we (all) over-estimate our need for multi-tasking and brute computing power.

My vote is that you "dance with how brung ya"... stick to your 64 bit philosophy and wait. You know Intel products are not always at there best early in their production cycle and that a usable 64 bit OS and drivers are around the corner (ok...2007). Hold out or settle for a single core Turion.

Collapse -
Ha ha ha !

"you've been an evangelist for 64 bit processors" ... yes it's true ! But here is the problem :

I can have a deal with Dell because of the association of my father's company with Dell ... and Dell never sold one AMD computer since I'm born I think Wink They sell AMD processor retail box, but no system with AMD processors.

I know that the AMD Turion 64 X2, the first 64 bits mobile dual-core processor will get out on May 9th, but will it be better than the Core Duo ? I can beleive that anybody is able to anwser me on this point, but if we compare the two old generation mobile processors ( the Pentium M VS. AMD Turion ), the Turion was always better in the performances side than the Pentium M, so can we deduce that the AMD Turion 64 X2 will be more powerful at the same clock speed than the Core Duo ? I can beleive that anybody still can't aswer me !

But I tought to one another possibility when I was taking my bath... My grand-father who travels a lot in a "entertaining vehicle" ( not sur if it's this world in English, but in French it's "V

Collapse -
No matter what....
by jgvillan / April 10, 2006 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Ha ha ha !

Not sure you would like this answer, but no matter what you do, it WILL be outdated in a couple of years. Doesn't matter if its a desktop or a laptop.

It's true, you have more options to (and easier)upgrade a desktop vs. a laptop. But you can actaully change CPU's of both systems, but in a couple of years, it may not matter anyways. So, if you want the portability of a laptop, go for it. Think of it as an 'All-In-One' system. You can use that with your mom, that you don't need to rely on a sepeated mouse, keyboard, and monitor. If goes where you go, and can be easlily available when you need it. Can't do that with a desktop.

You can be confident with a Duo core (even though its a 32 bit system), and it would be to your advantage if you wait a bit and get a Turion 64 X2. But think of this, even with the new Microsoft Vista, it can still use 32 bit software. And, at least for now and in the near future, there is no real need to go to 64 bit quite yet.

Sounds like you got a plan already in purchasing your dad's, then re-selling it off to your uncle. Then using that money toward a Turion based system.

There is no need for you to be 'forced' to go HP, if you do not want to. Recently, Dell bought out the Alienware company, and if Dell really does merge with them, Dell may offer AMD products in the near future. Whether or not if that can be an option with your dad's company, I can't say. =(

Also, either you get a desktop, laptop, AMD or Intel, be sure that what ever system you purchase, you consider getting some insurance on it and get extended warranty. Just in case anything fails, you can have it replaced with minimal headaches.

Hope that this helps, and good luck.

Collapse -
Inspiron 6400
by jake1929 / April 10, 2006 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Ha ha ha !

I got my Inspiron 6400 yesterday, and all I'm gonna say is WOW...

This a terrific notebook, IMO it has no comparison. I would definitely recommend it.

If you dont want the computer to be "outdated" quickly, be aware of the following:

1- Get Windows XP Proffesional of Media Center Edition because XP Home DOES NOT support the Core Duo processor. It will just recognize 1 processor, so basically its like having a single core.

2- Get a good graphics card since its the only thing you cant change on a laptop. Get 128mb or 256 of dedicated video ram. And you'll need it in the future if you plan the use Vista someday.

I got the WXGA with true life display and it is incredible, I put it next to my brother's Vaio and the Inspiron's screen was more bright/clear. Now he's jealeous.

I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm convinced anyone would like this computer too.

Collapse -
Thank you javi23
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 11, 2006 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Inspiron 6400

Thank you very much for your mini-review of your new Insprion 6400.

The dealer of my father company is now return from his vacancy's. I'll try to call him to see if I can have a good deal.

I'll probably write you the outcome.

Thank you for all your help Grin !

Collapse -
what the different between insipron 6000 with 6400
by jusjorw / April 21, 2006 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Inspiron 6400

I just bought this inspiron 6000 recently and was quite satisfy with it except the sound system. it is not as good as expected. Beside Duo core processor for 6400 model, what else 6400 have as compare to 6000?
what you guys have to say about that. please comment, thanks.

Best regards

Raymond
Malaysia

Collapse -
6000 has older technology
by jgvillan / April 21, 2006 5:52 AM PDT

My guess is that the 6000 sports somewhat 'older' technology. It may be top of the line when it was first introduced over a year ago, but it's coming off as a 'basic' laptop now. Not that its a bad thing, but here is what I think. It sports a Pentium M, or Centrino. Not the Duo core, but you know that already. Has DDR, as opposed to DDR2 RAM. Older video card, and doesn't have the Media Player option of playing DVD/music without fully booting to Windows. Other than that, it should still be a very good laptop to use, just not using the more newer and latest technology. But not to worry. Still meets the specs for the new Windows Vista.

Hope that this helps.

Collapse -
Some news !

Hi !

I finally receive my quotation from the Dell dealer of my father company !

Here is the configuration with the price :

Processor : Intel Core Duo Processor T2300 ( 2 MB Cache/1.66 GHz/667 MHz FSB )

Operating System : Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, English

LCD Panel : 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife

Memory : 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533 MHz, 1 DIMM

Video Card : ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 HyperMemory

Hard-Drive : 80 GB Hard-Drive @ 5400 RPM

Network Card and Modem : Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software : Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0

CD/DVD Burner : FREE Upgrade to 8x CD/DVD Burner ( DVD+/- RW ) - 100 $ Value

Wireless Networking Cards : Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/g Mini Card ( 54 Mbps )

Office Productivity Software : No productivity suite - Corel WordPerfect word processor only

Security Software : McAfee Security Center w/ VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial

Primary Battery : 80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Carrying Case : Nylon Backpack Carrying Case

Hardware Support Services : 1 Yr Return to Depot Service with 1 Yr Tech Support

Digital Imaging : Corel Photo Album 6 Starter Edition - Organize and Edit your photos

Color Choice : Carbon Fiber QuickSnap Cover

Backup & Recovery : Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition Backup CD

Accessories :

Belkin 2-Outlet Travel Surge Protector ( 15.00 $ )

Dell Color Printer 720 CA
( Free Special Offer )

Hardware Support Services : 1 Year - Advance Exchange Service

Total Price : $ 1 488.89 CAN ( Website price is 1602 $ CAN )

Is it worth the price of the discount ( arround 115 $ CAN ) ?

Thank you !

Collapse -
Say its a good deal
by jgvillan / April 18, 2006 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Some news !

Not knowing the exact exchange rate between CAN and US $$, I would say that its a good deal with the specs that you have on it. The Duo Core will definatly help, you got the 15.4 widescreen display, 80GB, 512 MB of RAM. You got the basics down, with Media Center 2005. Battery should give you at least three hours of life. Other than upgrading to 1GB of RAM in a year or two, I think you got a sweet system already.
Good Luck and have fun with your laptop.....assuming that you get it.

Collapse -
is screen ratio
by Dataspeed / April 20, 2006 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Some news !

Hi
I'm planning on getting this laptop too for university next year. There is just a thing bugging me: is the screen ratio 16:10 or 4:3?
thx

Collapse -
16:10 I think
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / April 21, 2006 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: is screen ratio

I think it"s this screen ratio because it has a Widescreen display.

So well, I thinking about my buying.

I think it's better than a desktop because I went to a Staple store and ALL Compaq and HP desktop PC ( they only have that brands ) have a dawned Ati RADEON XpRESS 200M with shared memory Sad when I can have a 128 MB on-board and another 128 MB with the hypermemory.

Dell get out new special offers today and you know what ? It's about 100 $ less expensive now than yesterday ! So I'll call my dealer Monday at the first hour to make a new deal.

I'm pretty decided to buy it, but I want to be sure if in three-four years it will be still good for my utilisation...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?