Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Inspiron 6000 & HP dv1240 & (Place Toshiba Comp. Here)

by MrSilvia / June 27, 2005 10:54 AM PDT

Hello all.
I wouldnt consider myself a great computer guru. but i know my stuff. I build my home desktop, but now im shopping for a good durable laptop.
I came across the Inspiron 6000 and the HP dv1240 to compare, and they are pretty even if you ask me.
The purpose of this laptop is school. I will be having 3 hour lectures daily, plus I would like to have the option of using the laptop on my daily commute on the bus or train.
I couldnt find many Toshiba laptops that compete with the internals as well as the external look, but if anyone has any suggestions im open to reading about it.
I know that toshiba just released a few in the Toronto area, they might have been released earlier in other citys, but whatever.
This is what I know and what matters to me. Im going to be using it for school, so notes, email, internet, occasional gaming & movies, I would like to have the option of DVD burning capabilities considering i can store more data on a DVD.
The Inspiron I like the way it looks, but it has a few drawbacks, the bring it to the level of the HP dv1240 with ram and HD space as well as the processor the cost goes up fairly quickly.
the HP has a smaller screen, but i can live with that considering it has the remote control for music/movies.
I have seen the HP in the store and the screen looks very nice and clear, can someone explain to me the differences about the screens ?

Important specs to me:

Inspiron 6000
HD: 80 gig (max/option)
mem: 512-1gig (options)
processor: must be centrino, but id like to hear more about how much better this 64 bit technology with AMD is
vid card: generic
batt: upgradable
weight: moderate

HP dv1240
HD: 100 gig (standard)
mem: 1 gig (standard)
processor: i think its a 1.7 centrino
batt: ???
vid card: ???
weight: ???

I will defienetly be using this laptop for 3D designing with CAD programs such as CATIA/Autodesk Inventor 9/SolidWorks/SolidEdge. so it needs to hold its own as far as vid card and memory is concerned.

any opinions on battery life and upgrades that i dont know about, any toshibas, anything. im open

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 6000 & HP dv1240 & (Place Toshiba Comp. Here)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 6000 & HP dv1240 & (Place Toshiba Comp. Here)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
toshiba alternative
by Freelansir / June 27, 2005 1:01 PM PDT

i don't know a ton about laptops, but i know i was looking at the toshiba M40 - if you live in canada, there's a varient 1.73 centriono, 512 RAM (in one card, so you can stick in another 512 easily without replacing two 256's), 3.2 aprox battery life, 15.4 screen. Video card is only mediocre, which was why i was iffy with it, but perhaps it's alright for you. price is 1600 at best buy, before taxes.

about the hp and dell, not sure. i just know the toshiba one as it is an option for me to buy.

Collapse -
Meh... toshiba...
by MrSilvia / June 27, 2005 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: toshiba alternative

I saw the M40 you were suggesting and I remember seeing it in the store and I remember why I havent found a decent toshiba comparison yet.
I find them to be ugly...
I find the hinges weak and the screen is very flexible which deters me from purchasing it considering the durability would decrease.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

Collapse -
I can help you a bit ...
by stef_1825 / August 9, 2005 7:51 AM PDT

Hi, I just purshased a dv1240 and I can tell you that its a great computer .. I have used a lot of desktop for the last years but this laptop is even beter than all the desktop I've used ... The only problem you might have is playing some games that demand a lot of the graphic card cause thats the only weekness i found.
So if youre not a gamer this computer is perfect

Collapse -
HPDV4000 is 15.4" widescreen equivalent and has remote/quick
by KenSanramon / August 9, 2005 8:45 AM PDT

The equivalent 15.4" LCD HP model to the Dell 6000 is the HPDV4000 series -- this is very similar to the 14" widescreen HPDV1000 series (of which the model you refer to above is a prebuilt variant of) in that it also has the built in remote control (PC card slot) and instant on DVD and CD functions.

The pricing, at least in the US, can be close at times so if you don't absolutely need a notebook for heavy travel under 6 pounds (5.3 pounds) the 15.4" widescreen is more useful for everyday use on the HPDV4000 or Dell 6000.

Both the HPDV1000 series and the HPDV4000 series only have integrated video for now so if you want a dedicated video card that is the primary advantage of the Dell 6000 series at this point...........

Note that the 14" widescreen has a much narrower viewing angle (dims more rapidly as you move from head on to an angle to view the LCD) so keep in mind that is another advantage of the 15.4" widescreen if you will be using it to watch DVD's, etc in a group and will have people viewing the LCD from off center.

Go see this for yourself at Best Buy as you should be able to find both models there.........

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?