Computer Help forum

Question

Dell Inspiron 530s

I have a Dell Inspiron 530s tower that runs great but is currently running Windows XP. I would like to upgrade it. I don't know much about buying hardware but I was advised to meet today's standards to upgrade it to:
Intel core i3 or i5
6GB RAM
1TB hard drive
Windows 64-bit.
I would like to know if it's much cost effective to take it to a computer shop and have these upgrades done or to buy them online, then have them installed. Any suggestions? Can I buy these items from other websites other than Dell that are compatible?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 530s
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 530s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
The 530s is a series

In reply to: Dell Inspiron 530s

Rather than lose any more time, just post a link to your exact model.

Most XP machines didn't have 6GB RAM and many didn't upgrade over 2GB. Let's get your full model info on your next post. Let's hope it's a link.

Collapse -
Link

In reply to: The 530s is a series

Collapse -
OK, the only CPU listed is the Core2Quad q9400

In reply to: Link to PC

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?category_id=7956&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&mfgpid=192778

That CPU might be best sourced from Ebay.

The motherboard is your usual Socket 755 so it's not going to any i3 or such.

Be sure the BIOS is up to date and then use Crucial.com to get some RAM.

Frankly at close to 200 bucks and we have yet to get a Windows OS you are fast approaching what a new desktop PC will be.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Desktop-Computers/zgbs/electronics/565098 finds refurb and new Windows 7 PCs starting at 300.
Collapse -
Don't

In reply to: Link to PC

You'll end up gutting the entire machine.
The cost of parts and labor will be more than a new machine.

If your not into gaming shop the sales at your local office supply stores.
If something pops up you can quickly go there and take a look at it.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Been there and done that

I had a Dell 530s a few years ago and found that upgrades were very slim pickin's . It was a Vista machine though.
The only upgrades I was allowed was after market PSU , (400 watts)
an ATI 5450 GPU
and went up to 4 GB of Ram . I turned it into a Linux computer and it ran well until 2 of the old brittle rear usb ports broke on the motherboard.
SSD's were just coming out than so I was left with the old 320 GB HDD.

Being a SFF there just wasn't many parts to choose from
I would recommend buying a new/refurb in a larger tower

Collapse -
Answer
Don't even try...

The Dell 530, no matter what version is a dated PC. Just getting the best for it, won't be cost effective. In fact as others point out its going to cost too much in effect you're replacing the PC. You'll be better off getting a generic or DIY type case and darn good PSU and add items from there. Once, you're done you'll be better off than sticking with the 530 in any form. I further suggest to save costs, buy a "white box" or basic, case and mtrbd. already installed as a singular item and add the mouse, kybd., etc. from old PC and go from that. Manty of the non-OEM vendors like NewEgg and Tiger offer such systems and I'm sure other do too, just google away. Of course, skip tjis and just buy a "used PC" of better innards from OEM's like Dell being refurbed or repaired returns, etc. at lower costs than new. All this combines that depending on your wallet, you'll be better served than rebuilding a 530, believe me.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.