Dell forum

Question

Dell Inspiron 530 64 bit Win Vista Mouse & Keyboard Issue

by bearhb / October 28, 2014 2:32 AM PDT

My desktop has been problem free until the mouse and keyboard stopped working intermittently. The optical mouse and keyboard (usb) loose power. I have to shut down the cpu and restart. It happens while I'm online (using Mozilla Firefox). Could I have a failing controller card or power supply? Everything else seems to be operating fine. The mouse/keyboard failures seem to happen within the first 10 minutes of opening the browser or after 45 mins - hour. They don't shut off while I'm offline in any other applications.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 530 64 bit Win Vista Mouse & Keyboard Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 530 64 bit Win Vista Mouse & Keyboard Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have you tried
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2014 2:44 AM PDT

Other USB ports (stick to the rear ports) and other USB keyboard/mice?

The symptom sounds like a heat or other failure. I'm sure you know about the yearly canned air cleaning but if not, look into that as well.
Bob

Collapse -
No
by bearhb / October 28, 2014 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried

No, I haven't. Both the kb and mouse are plugged into usb ports in the back of the tower.

One is plugged directly into the tower usb; the other is plugged into a gadget with multiple usb ports that is plugged into a usb port in the back of the tower.

The tower might have gotten hot; it's in an enclosed space in the desk. It's over 5 years old. I do open the case once a year and clean out the dust.

Collapse -
Then some wiggle room, things to try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2014 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: No

Once in a while I run into a client that won't move things around. Really good news for a new PC sale.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
batteries in either?
by James Denison / October 28, 2014 2:45 AM PDT

or plugged into USB? or PS/2? Anything else stop working at the same time, maybe change in fan sounds, drive sounds, etc? As for browser, maybe you need to set a larger cache or set to be automatic. How much room on the hard drive is left? Windows needs about 12% of a drive space just for keeping track of everything.

Collapse -
No batteries
by bearhb / October 28, 2014 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: batteries in either?

Both the kb and mouse are plugged into usb ports in the back. One is plugged directly into the tower and the other is plugged into one of those gadgets with multiple usb ports that plugs into an open usb port.

Collapse -
take the "hub" out of the loop
by James Denison / October 29, 2014 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: No batteries

see if the problem goes away. If so, next time use a powered hub.

Collapse -
Answer
Dell service really sucks
by dumperbox7 / November 6, 2014 3:18 AM PST

We had launch complaint on 4 july 2014 till today i.e 7 Nov 2014 there is proper response from there side. I have got some mail of DELL higher authority but even there work is not up to the MNC standard. They would disconnect your call between your conversation. Will respond to your mail just before leaving the office. And would give stupid reason that i am on leave, how come all executives go on leave on same day. Would send there technician after 7 -10 days of launch date and that too when we had posted mails to there higher authority.

Issue: Keyboard,mousepad,HDD,optical drive not working properly
They have replace 5-6 times motherboard and had replaced it with 150 GB HDD instead of 750GB which is present in configuration
If you have any issue tweet them or comment on there facebook account

Collapse -
Odd. So your Vista machine has same issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2014 3:31 AM PST

This is so far out of warranty that I can't guess why you posted in this thread.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?