General discussion

Dell Inspiron 3558 laptop part question

I have a Dell Inspiron 3558 laptop which is now over two years old and I need to buy a new 45 watt A.C. adapter to replace the one which came with the laptop when it was new.

Dell's website shows this 45 watt A.C. adapter as the current replacement:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/492-bbof

The price isn't bad but the user reviews on Dell.com are not the best for this A.C. adapter. Would an aftermarket brand of A.C. adapter work for my Dell Inspiron 3558 laptop or should I stay with a Dell brand replacement part?

The part of the cable that plugs into the side of the laptop to charge the battery is beginning to bend from the weight of the connector's plug and the cable is beginning to break.

Are non-Dell branded A.C. adapters just as good as Dell's new replacement ones? Dell's website also has a few 65 watt A.C. adapters which are compatible with my Inspiron 3558 laptop and cost a little more than the 45 watt part.

Should I consider purchasing a 65 watt adapter or stay with the 45 watt one? Both of the Dell adapters come with only a 30 day warranty; I would feel better if they came with a one year warranty.

Big Steve
01/13/19

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dell Inspiron 3558 laptop part question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell Inspiron 3558 laptop part question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Dell Inspiron 3558 laptop 45 watt A.C. adapter

Well the link in my previous message didn't seem to work so let's see if this will work.

Dell 45-Watt 3-Prong AC Adapter with 6.5 ft Power Cord
Manufacturer Part #CC0DT
Dell Part #492-BBOF
Dell Price $49.99

Big Steve
01/13/19

- Collapse -
Reviews does not mean it's bad.

Sorry but the more you go over reviews the more you see there's always a bad review for anything. Since there's no reason for a higher wattage adapter then you have your reason to change. Make your call. I won't.

- Collapse -
Re: Reviews does not mean it's bad.

So you recommend that I purchase the 45 watt adapter; there is no need to buy the 65 watt adapter; who would need to buy a 65 watt adapter? Someone who has a more powerful laptop than my basic configuration? Also is it your recommendation to purchase a Dell replacement part and stay away from a non - Dell replacement part? Later.

Big Steve
01/13/19

- Collapse -
Your choice.

In decades I've only had one laptop that you wanted a bigger charger. It was some 100+Watt gaming laptop. It was a design error in my opinion that the laptop might and did draw more than that what the charger could supply. The maker's design had it pull some battery power during the maximum load so that could get into trouble (it did) later as the battery aged.

In your model I see no reason to use other than the specified charger.

On top of that since most of these are so old and worth little we have been getting the 20 buck or less chargers from Amazon.

- Collapse -
Re: Your choice.

So purchase the 45 watt Dell adapter and take a look at some adapters on Amazon.com as well. Even at $49.99 + tax the Dell 45 watt adapter's warranty is only 30 days.

Should I consider purchasing a new 4 cell battery too? Dell has one of those for $109.99. I'll have to check to see what the warranty is on the battery. Later.

Big Steve
01/13/19

- Collapse -
Your choice.

My mom's dell's adapter was lost and the battery was gone. On amazon, about 20 each. You have to make your decision here. I won't pay those prices.

- Collapse -
Oh how low the prices can go.
- Collapse -
Re: Oh how low the prices can go.

Can you recommend a good website to go to that I could use to check out reviews and ratings for the best "entry level" or "budget" laptop computers for home use for 2018 or 2019? Later.

Big Steve
01/13/19

- Collapse -
That would be

You guessed. CNET.com

I like the Amazon Best sellers but for simple web browsing my brother and I bought a lot of HP and Dell refurbs on Groupon.com.

What I think you may fall for is the trap of too many choices. That's a real problem for many today. https://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/your-money/27shortcuts.html

This is why my brother and I just went to Groupon, found a lot of nice enough i3/i5 refurbs and filled up the office with them. Prices started back then at 128USD and up for the i3 4G HP Probook which is quite a lot better than the Pavilion consumer fare. We paid probably 10% of what other offices spend on such things and not one has failed yet.

- Collapse -
Re: That would be.

Groupon? I've never heard of them. Are they like Ebay? I'll have to check them out.

Big Steve
01/14/19

- Collapse -
Re: Your choice.

I don't either and I plan to go to Amazon.com to check their website out. As I stated in my original post this laptop is now over 2 years old and late last year I ran some kind of a Dell diagnostic test which took about 10 minutes to complete and the end results in the hardware category recommended I replace the laptop's hard drive.

I haven't replaced the laptop's hard drive yet but if you add together the price of a new Dell hard drive + a new Dell battery + a new Dell 45 watt AC adapter I'd rather apply all of that towards a new laptop rather than buy those 3 new replacement parts unless a laptop's hard drive has been known to start to go out after 2 years time. The only computers I've ever used have been Dell's. Which other companies make a good entry level no frills laptop computer besides Dell? Later.

Big Steve
01/13/19

CNET Forums