General discussion

Dell Inspiron 1720 - Problems reformatting pc with Vista

Before Xmas - made the mistake of downloading a screensaver. We had Norton Antivirus on the pc but somehow it corrupted the pc and we then were no longer able to access the net. We were advised to reformat the pc using the Operating disc. We have followed the steps however has not worked. When we switch the pc on, it attempts to load up files and just freezes ... have left it on all night before now but no change. Any ideas? The laptop isnt that old and just now we cant use it at all ...

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dell Inspiron 1720 - Problems reformatting pc with Vista
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell Inspiron 1720 - Problems reformatting pc with Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tell more.

Most of the OS install notes tell us to unplug USB things and more to get ready to install Vista. Your post didn't tell all the details.
Bob

- Collapse -
Further info
- Collapse -
It's done.

If this is as you say then the machine looks to need repair. Sadly there is so little in your post that we can't discuss it further.

The "story" about why you needed to reinstall and more may be required.
Bob

- Collapse -
Update 2

Apologies - the laptop wouldnt open Internet Explorer or Firefox and after some investigation it pointed back to a screensaver that had been downloaded. It appears that there was some virus/malware that had infected the machine. The recommendation was to reformat the laptop using the Operating Disc but this just hasnt worked despite following instructions. Last night I left it at the final stage and when I next looked at it, the screen was black.

- Collapse -
That left out many details.

I dropped a hint about USB devices. I've seen the install hang on mice, printers, USB memory sticks, firewire, PC-Cards and more. If we put the machine back to stock and we are using the restore media that the machine came with and it fails, then we are looking at repairing the machine.
Bob

CNET Forums