Computer Help forum

Question

Dell Inspiron 17 (7737) w/ windows 10 Freezing

Hey everyone,
The past couple of days I've had a few issues going on with my computer. The problems started with my 3d modeling program solidworks, it started running very slow and stopped responding, after that my computer froze. I let it sit for 5 minutes and nothing changed so I restarted the computer. This led to a blue screen that said "It looks like Windows didnt load correctly". This happened multiple times so I took it to geek squad and they said most likely a hard drive issue. Also had a friend who's in IT take a look and he said the same thing. So I replaced the hard drive, ando it was working okay and the computer was working okay for a few minutes and then froze again. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with Dell tech support and did all of their diagnostic tests and they determined that all of my hardware was working fine and that there might be a software issue. I noticed that some of the keys on my keyboard are only working intermittently and sometimes get mixed up (ie. I hit the N key and it puts a period.). Also my bios will not load. I tried, f2, f12, del, fn f2, fn f12, and the same on another keyboard. It seems like it's just ignoring the commands, and instead jumps right to the login screen. When I do login to the computer I can use it for about a minute before it freezes. I ran my computer in safe mode and it didn't seem to freeze(idk if that narrows the results). A friend also suggested my graphics card drivers may be out of date so I checked and they were indeed out of date but it also said (Nvidia genforce-something(32-bit)) I thought that was strange becsuse the computer is a 64bit system. So I installed the 64 but drivers and it didn't really change anything. Please help, I need my computer for work and school, and I'm pretty much screwed without it! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 17 (7737) w/ windows 10 Freezing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 17 (7737) w/ windows 10 Freezing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: freeze

In reply to: Dell Inspiron 17 (7737) w/ windows 10 Freezing

You replaced the hard drive. What was on it, and/or what did you put on it?

This could very well be some hardware issue. I'd start booting into a Linux disc or stick (free to make) and see if that keeps working or freezes also.

Collapse -
Linux?

In reply to: Re: freeze

The new drive i loaded with windows 8 pro, and from there updated to windows 10. Where do I find/how do I make a Linux disk/drive? Would my windows 8 disk work instead of using linux?

Collapse -
Some Instructions

In reply to: Linux?

Get on a good computer that doesn't crash
1. Download Linux Mint from their website (Google it by typing Linux Mint )
2. Download the 64 bit ISO Cinnamon Version 18.1 from their site
3. Burn the ISO to a DVD disk or make a boot-able USB stick ( the USB stick will load faster when booted from it ) or have someone do it for you that knows how to do this
4. To eliminate a bad keyboard as a possibility use an external USB keyboard to get to the BIOS

Collapse -
Answer
I would do as Kees said,

Run a live version of Linux to check hardware ,
You said ....
" I ran my computer in safe mode and it didn't seem to freeze(idk if that narrows the results) " ,
Did all of the programs run ok while in Safe Mode ? I know while in Safe Mode the drivers aren't loaded.
Also that part about not being able to get into the BIOS is troublesome .

Collapse -
Programs

In reply to: I would do as Kees said,

The hard drive was brand new and had no programs ton run, aside from what windows 10 supplied. When not in safe mode the computer would freeze with me just being on the desktop without anything running. Also I can't change my bios settings to read a drive.

Collapse -
???

In reply to: Programs

Did Windows run ok in Safe Mode and did It freeze In Safe Mode and did the keyboard function properly ?

Collapse -
Safe mode

In reply to: ???

Windows seemed to run fine in safe mode. Also windows 8 runs perfectly. Could I have a bag copy of Windows 10?

Collapse -
Ahh , Now we're getting somewhere

In reply to: Safe mode

Thanks for the answer...
Now the Pro's can dig in Wink

Collapse -
I forgot to say ....

In reply to: Ahh , Now we're getting somewhere

I'm sure Bob or whomever checks this out will want a Speccy Report  so stay in safe mode and do that ...

Collapse -
Still waiting for you

In reply to: I forgot to say ....

to post that Speccy Report  too.
How can you expect these folks to truly help you if you don't give the info needed ?

Collapse -
Try a USB keyboard to access the bios

In reply to: I would do as Kees said,

Try a USB keyboard

Collapse -
Answer
Plug in a USB keyboard

See if the same thing happens when using it.

Collapse -
Answer
I worry it's just a high load app and the machine is getting

Hot.

As this is a laptop, you should be on a regular canned air cleaning schedule. If you never did this, start with once a day for a week then weekly for a month and back to the 1st of the month.

Safe mode keeps the load down so it is a clue.

Collapse -
Answer
Google has a lot of entries about Solidworks on Windows 10

Disclaimer: I know NOTHING about Solidworks!

However, Googling "Solidworks Windows 10" produces a long list of Qs & As about running it on 10. Given I know nothing of the product, it would appear that Releases before 15 SP5 are not supported on Windows 10. One entry suggests 15 SP4 will run on 10 in Windows 8 Compatibility mode. This might be relevant to your statement that Windows 8 runs perfectly. It begs the question, of course, if Windows 8.1 can run it successfully, can you run 8.1 to get you back in business for the time being?

The entry by the Solidworks website says 15 SP5 and later are supported on Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise. Do you have one of those or are you trying to run it on 10 Home, which isn't mentioned?

Not being able to get into the BIOS is a worry - I can't imagine how but has your attempt to run Solidworks, which started your problem, managed to corrupt the BIOS in some way? If so, you might need to re-flash it but DON"T attempt this unless you know what you are doing - get someone who does to help.

With that, I leave it to wiser heads. Good look!

Collapse -
Solidworks

In reply to: Google has a lot of entries about Solidworks on Windows 10

I ran solidworks with when I had windows 8, i was also using solidworks 2016 with Windows 8 for about a year. I bought windows 10 pro in an attempt to "fix" my computer because it said windows didnt start correctly. Also as an update I contacted the company that I got windows from thinking that maybe I got a bad copy some how? So they sent me a new one with a new product key and my computer ran perfectly fine for about a day and a half but is now freezing again.

Collapse -
Still sounds heat related.

In reply to: Solidworks

I haven't read any reply about how you keep the heatsinks clean and change the compound after a few years.

To me this sounds just like the same old issues and nothing about an OS issue.

Collapse -
So you reloaded

In reply to: Solidworks

Win 10 in the last 4 days and are back in Safe Mode ?

Collapse -
Are you Still having problems?

In reply to: So you reloaded

Looks like your not the only one with this laptop problem and windows 10
from another forum suggested disabling the geforce adapter in safe mode, it runs OK but that means it may not be able to run solidworks .I had issues with drivers on my upgrade to windows 10 -no keyboard or mouse, installed again via upgrade, worked but the audio was noisy and crackling , tried everything nothing worked for about a year so recently did a fresh USB install from Microsoft wiping the hard drive & now everything works ? Must of got the right drivers eventually as to the BIOS try
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19533223
Good luck

Collapse -
Answer
Answer

In case someone else stumbles across this issue.....The answer is to Upgrade the BIOS to the latest version (Currently 14)

C.

Collapse -
Here's a link to version a14

In reply to: Answer

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.