Laptops forum

Resolved Question

Dell Inspiron 1525 had a bad fall

by TheAnt317 / March 2, 2014 12:56 AM PST

Now it's gotten to the point where Windows 7 will be "Starting Windows" and then nothing but a black screen. Basically it fell about 4 feet and hit the wooded floor.

-- Inspiron 1525 --
-- Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T2390 (1.86GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache)
-- [223-8965]
-----------------------
-- Memory --
-- 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
-- [311-7806]
-----------------------
-- Video Card --
-- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
-- [320-6059]
-----------------------
-- Hard Drive --
-- Size: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
-- [341-5616]

TheAnt317 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspiron 1525 had a bad fall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspiron 1525 had a bad fall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TheAnt317

Collapse -
You may have damaged hardware
by wpgwpg / March 2, 2014 1:05 AM PST

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode? If you can do that, you can run chkdsk & let it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors. If you can't boot to Safe Mode, make a repair disc on another Windows 7 PC that's either 32 or 64 bit the same as yours. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Backup & restore -> Create repair disc. Insert a CD-R & it will create it. Then take it to your Dell Inspiron and boot from it.
`
If none of the above works, try booting to the command prompt using the repair CD and copy any data you don't want to lose to a flash or external hard drive. Then take the computer to a repair shop.

Collapse -
Another thing
by TheAnt317 / March 3, 2014 7:06 AM PST

I was probably too hasty clicking "best answer."

From what I can gather, I believe it may just be the hard drive that faulted. Windows does not boot, no matter what I do. I popped in a Linux Live CD to take a closer look and, lo and behold, the hard drive cannot be accessed by Linux either.

I believe a trip to the repair shop may not be necessary as I feel the problem is centered only around the hard drive. I was thinking of simply replacing the hard drive inside the laptop, re-installing Windows and seeing what happens. However, is there anyway I can personally check to see if there are any other failing parts if I install a new HDD and it still does not work in some shape or form?

Collapse -
Yes but let's go ahead and state it so we're clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2014 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Another thing

The way to test if it's the HDD is to take the HDD to a good PC or take a good HDD to this failed PC.

Once in a while you get lucky in that unplugging and plugging in the drive can fix it. You dd that? Right?
Bob

Collapse -
you already did
by itsdigger / March 3, 2014 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Another thing

when you ran the live cd. Since you have restore media you can try installing Linux to see what happens with the HDD

Digger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?