General discussion

Dell Inspiron 1501 battery problems

Hey guys, my laptop batter dies really quickly and I don't know why. When it is fully charged, it only lasts about 30 minutes. Any means on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

- Justin

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Dell Inspiron 1501 battery problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell Inspiron 1501 battery problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How old?

Laptop batteries have a rated life of 500 charges or 18 months. While most of us do better than this the ONE THING you must do is to replace any failing battery before it kills the charging circuits.

HOWEVER 30 minutes is NORMAL for those Pentium 4 based machines which I don't think the 1501 came equipped with.

There are other reasons other than the usual 18 months, etc to see low battery times. The screen may be set to very bright, the CPUs are always busy (spyware, etc.) And the power settings could be non-stock.

Bob

- Collapse -
My laptop isn't even a year yet. I think I got it in Feb 07. My screen is as bright as is can be, but I have always have that setting. Before, it has always been bright and has lasted about an hour and a half. Even if I put my computer on hibernate, when I turn it back on, it's still the same... only about 30 minutes at full charge.

- Justin

- Collapse -
You may have a warranty issue.

Call it in now before the year is up and you lose your free fix.

Bob

- Collapse -
Battery

I just restarted my computer and I got a message right after the dell logo appears that said

"WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.
This system will be unable to charge this battery.

Press Any Key to Continue

Press <F2> 2 times to enter SETUP
Press <F12> and Any Key to enter Boot Menu

And that's all.

- Justin

- Collapse -
Great news.

You are definitely moving towards a real warranty issue. Call now before that year is over.

Bob

- Collapse -
inspiron 1501 battery

i am having the exact same problem as you described and was wondering if you have found a fix yet.

- Collapse -
No fix because...

It's under warranty...

- Collapse -
battery

so they just replaced the laptop or you sent it in for repairs?

- Collapse -
(NT) The one I had was fixed.
- Collapse -
My laptop :)

Well, I called dell and they said there was nothing wrong with my battery, since it is a 6 cell battery, they said that it is perfectly normal for it to be acting that way. They gave me some settings to maximize my battery life, which has actually helped. But it still sucks. At full charge it only lasts about an hour. Oh well. I guess I'll just take my charger with me at all times. Thanks for everyone's help though I really appreciate it.

- Justin

- Collapse -
not give in too easily

give them an other ring, specially since you got that error message about not charging. it should reali be lasting more than an 1 hr on min settings. iv had to call dell a couple times to get things sorted, but they will. so do it before ur 1 yr runs out.

si.

- Collapse -
Error Message

I got the error message fixed. (I forgot about that) The dell lady had me update my BIOS and that fixed the problem. Happy

- Justin

- Collapse -
Hello Battery Issue 1501 Inspiron

Hello
My computer is out of warranty and I have the exact same error message.
I would just hit any key, then continue.
Recently my battery light is alway flashing red and only is charge to 25%. Does not work when not plugged in.
Do you know what they did to your BIOS set up?
Did you end of up replacing your battery?
I didn't quite understand you fixed your issue.
Thanks for you help.

- Collapse -
Dell Inspiron 1501 battery error message

I got this error message, but the charging and the battery life seem to be ok. SHould I be concerned?? Thank you.

"WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.
This system will be unable to charge this battery.

- Collapse -
BIOS update

How do you fix the error message...having similar issues with battery life on my Dell Inspiron 1501. My email address is ejcafe11@hotmail.com

- Collapse -
Dell laptop 5150 battery issues

I kept getting a warning about the battery when I booted up my laptop.
I saw a fix on your sight that said to download a new bios driver from dell and I did. It fixed the error message, but now I have some other problems, my wireless router stopped communicating and a few minor other things. I think I prefer the other problem. Is there anyway to go back to the old driver???

- Collapse -
Inspiron 5010 - now won't even turn on!

I had the same problem with the message saying battery not recognised and I foolishly ignored it for quite a while!, but then this morning when i tried to turn on the computer I was not even getting any power through at all when connected to the mains. It's not an issue with the adapter since this is working in other computers. Any suggestions? Couls a new battery fix the problem? Thanks, Simon

nb i'm out of warrenty

- Collapse -
Doesn't recognize charger

and when I try to update the bios, I get an error stating it could not be updated, error -1404. Thanks for any assistance!

- Collapse -
Go back.

Ask dell for the version of BIOS you had that worked.

- Collapse -
Dell 1501 battery issue

I just experienced the same thing, one week after warranty expires. Battery couldn't be recognized, then battery is reaching the end of its usable life. Have read much on the subject but am not going to refrigerate my battery or time how long i am plugged in. When i called dell, they told me the batteries were treated with a chemical that made them only last for 12 months. Is that ridiculous or what. Talked to india so who knows the real deal but I WILL NEVER BUY A DELL AGAIN! Ridiculous, my last hp batt lasted 4 years and i still can get free support on that thing if i need it.

- Collapse -
Plugtop

how do i know if we've permanently damaged internal circuits? we have replaced the battery once and again (5mo later) it doesn't hold a charge. as soon as we unplug the laptop, we get the warning "critical battery" you should change your battery or switch to outlet power immediately to keep from losing work. we've bought oem batteries instead of direct dell.

i think it may be time to buy new, but maybe new battery would correct problems.

- Collapse -
The field test is simple.

You put in a new Dell battery and if everything works we call it good.

- Collapse -
jw46 SAME QUESTION.

How old is that battery? They are only good for 18 months to a few years and you find DAMAGED laptops where the owner kept the failed battery in the laptop hoping it would come back.

Too bad its not like a car battery that you can't use the machine when it's at the end.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hello

Thanks for your insight. It is right at the 18 month mark. I have read a lot of advice on this when searching for answers.
Everything from updating/running BIOS from Dell ot hitting f2 and exiting. Even some yahoo said to put it in the freezer.
I think I better go ahead and buy a new battery since it will be needed anyway. Sounds like if I do not act fast I may wreck my computer. Jen

- Collapse -
Did you read page 40 of your manual?
- Collapse -
Dell 1501 Battery Issue

Hello, I had an enjoyable evening last night. I checked the battery health and it displayed as unable to detect a battery.
So I ran the BIOS for my service tag from the Dell Website. That did not solve the issue per say, but when I checked on the battery health it did display that I needed a new battery. Dell sells them for $299. Which is insane to me. I ended up finding an original battery on with an 18 mo warranty for $140 free shipping. I am hoping that the new battery will take care of it. Thanks for advice

- Collapse -
How did the health check work out?

Or did I get the wrong manual?

As to the battery cost, yup, spare parts cost a bit.

- Collapse -
Health Check

I was able to do the health check, the actual steps were a little different than the manual you sent. But I was able to figure it out searching on the Dell website. I went to Control Panel, Power Options and was able to check on the health. Initially the health option displayed that it could not find a battery. So I then ran the most current BIOS from Dell for my computer. After that I could then do a health check it it stated that the battery was expired and needed to be replaced. I had some issues running the BIOS but figured out I had to change some setting to allow this to run in my user account. etc, etc. I think running the bios helped. It got rid of the message that a battery could not be detected. I get my new battery by the end of the week. Fingers crossed. Your ideas lead me to what I needed to do. Many thanks.

- Collapse -
Then I wish you the best.

Sorry if I got the wrong manual. But maybe it helped. I was AMAZED at the 300 cycles in the documentation but I can imagine why. (hint? Cost, etc.)

- Collapse -
Battery Issue Resolved

Hi, One final note to you. Running the BIOS from dell.com cleared out the error and allowed me to check the battery health to determine I needed a new batttery. I put in the new battery this weekend and all is working fantastic. Whew!! Thanks. I will surely use this forum again to deal with my next issue!!
Jenny

CNET Forums

Forum Info