Question

Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop - making loud noise

I've had a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop computer which I received from my brother almost 3 months ago and everything has been working fine but tonight while surfing online for the first time this laptop made the loudest noise; I've never heard anything like it before kind of noise; like something was hung up or locked up kind of noise and the only way I could make the noise stop was to totally shut the computer down.

The noise came from the lower left corner of the computer. There's a DVD burner on the right side but this loud noise wasn't coming from there; in fact I haven't used the DVD yet. Could this noise that I'm hearing be a fan related issue? I don't look forward to calling Dell's tech support for assistance but if it happens again I will do it.

Big Steve
01/05/17

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop - making loud noise
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop - making loud noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
For this issue

You have to have a tech check it out.

- Collapse -
Re: For this issue

Are you suggesting I take the laptop to a computer repair shop locally or get on the phone and talk to Dell tech support in India?

Big Steve
01/05/17

- Collapse -
For mechanical issues

I rarely find forums and phone support to fix it.

- Collapse -
Re: For mechanical issues

Mr. Proffitt:

I'm just glad I didn't pay for this laptop if it does start to become a probem; [ loud noise issue ]. I know I've asked you before but would you recommend a different brand of laptop besides Dell that I could purchase if I had to purchase one myself? All I've been doing on this laptop like I did on my previous one which in my opinion was a better built one; a Dell Vostro 1510 is web surfing and web based email.

Big Steve
01/06/17

- Collapse -
There is rarely a zero issue laptop.

And even more so with Windows. About as trouble free but limited at times are the Chromebooks. Groupon had a deal for a 15 inch Chromebook for under 89 bucks to my door. Since the office must test the web site on that, we have a few for the times to check it out.

Since you can https://www.google.com/search?q=chromebook+power+wash without loss, it's nothing like your everyday Windows PC where you lose all you didn't backup.

Post was last edited on January 6, 2017 7:48 AM PST

- Collapse -
Re: There is rarely a zero issue laptop.

Mr. Proffitt:

I hear you and thanks again.

Big Steve
01/06/17

- Collapse -
Answer
Red: noise

If your brother bought a new one for you, it's clearly a warranty case that should be handled by the shop or by Dell. I see mention of a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 in June 2014, and I see they still sell it now, so it's totally unclear how old it is.

For only webserving and web based e-mail any smartphone, tablet or Chromebook will do. Factors that help you choose what to use are screen size, screen quality, keyboard and if you prefer a touch screen above a mouse or want to use both.

- Collapse -
Re: Red noise

The Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop I have according to it's service tag number says on Dell.com that it was made in July 2016; that's pretty new to me and Dell has also told me that the laptop I have is not a refurbed unit; it's brand new.

This laptop replaced a previous one my brother shipped to me in January 2009; that laptop was a Dell Vostro 1510 which in my opinion was a better built computer than this Inspiron 15 3000 model that I have now.

The invoice from January 2009 shows the Vostro 1510 cost just under $800.00 USD; on the other hand the Inspiron 15 3000 series that I have now had an invoice price of just under $500.00 USD.

It definitely is a warranty issue since I received it in October 2016 but if it ends up becoming a hassle to get the issue resolved I'll buy my own computer and ship this one back to my brother to use as a large paper weight. Thanks for your feedback.

Big Steve
01/06/17

- Collapse -
Re: Red noise

Late in the day on Friday; January 06, 2017 I decided to contact Dell's tech support; my call got routed to India; I told them about the noise my new laptop was making which to me sounded like fan noise locking up but I wasn't sure. The noise was coming from below the Ctrl and the Fn keys on the laptop's keyboard.

The tech support rep in India did some troubleshooting on my computer. She took control of my computer and told me she was updating some of the drivers on my computer and when she finished she told me on the phone that she thought she had taken care of my laptop's problem.

On Saturday morning; January 14, 2017 after the laptop had been on for less than 30 minutes that day; it wasn't even warm yet on the bottom of the laptop before it made that strange noise again; it was the first time it had made the noise since Friday; January 06, 2017 when it did it for the first time.

So as I was instructed by Dell's tech support in India; I sent them an email later in the day on Saturday; January 14, 2017 letting them know that the laptop's noise had happened again. Later that night I received an email back from Dell's tech support in India telling me to call them back which I haven't done yet but I plan to do in a day or so.

When I spoke to Dell's tech support for the first time on Friday; January 06, 2017 I was told by the tech that if the problem did occur again to call them to arrange to have the laptop shipped to a Dell repair center here in the USA. The laptop is under warranty through October 2017.

Before I send the laptop off to have it checked out by Dell should I uninstall any software that I installed on it after I got the laptop for the first time or not? I added from CNET Downloads McAfee Site Advisor; Web Of Trust and SuperAntiSpyware. The only emailing I've done on the laptop is through AT&T's webmail which requires a user ID and password to access and that's it.

Big Steve
01/17/17

- Collapse -
Re: send to Dell

No need to uninstall that software. But it's possible they will put a new OS on the laptop, so be prepared that you might have to reinstall it again. And, of course, make a backup copy of everything you don't want to lose.

- Collapse -
Re: send to Dell

Well I'll try to post a reply a third time; previously when I attempted to post when I hit submit the screen turned white then an error message appeared saying to try again later. Are there issues on your site today or could that be on my end?

About backing up data which is the least expensive way to do it?

OT: Which forum would I start a discussion in about internet connectivity issues I'm having on this new Dell laptop?

Big Steve
01/17/17

- Collapse -
Since it's in Dell's care

Be sure to ask them about possible WiFi cards too.

As to the noise I looked up a few Inspirions and what do you think could be in that area? I wonder if it's the HDD which some owners complain about weird beeps and clicks from. To date the ONLY FIX I've come up with is to remove the HDD and install a SSD.

Costs vary but about 150USD for the counter charge and then whatever the SSD costs.
Is it worth that much to remove HDD noises?

- Collapse -
Re: Since it's in Dell's care

I'll ask Dell to check out the laptop's wireless card because I'll be connected to the internet one minute; I'll look down at the wireless icon in my systray where it'll show a disconnect; then I have to reconnect. About the changing out of the HD I'll go with whatever's in here because my brother bought this computer for me and if Dell can't fix it I'll send the computer back to him and I'll buy something else for myself but I don't know if it'll be another Dell.

Big Steve
01/17/17

CNET Forums

Forum Info