Laptops forum

General discussion

dell inspiron 1000 2gb ram upgrade

by varunreeves / December 21, 2008 7:15 AM PST

As already written in another post in this forum I know that the maximum ram upgrade in my inspiron 1000 old model laptop 256mb inbuilt ram memory ,xp sp2 is not true (I mean the official info) and that It can actually take 2 gb RAM.

Hello everyone,this is my first post and I hope someone can solve it.I have a dell inspiron 1000 old model with the sticking out wireless card.I have come to know that officially the maximum ram upgrade is 256mb for the unfilled slot in the back(There are two slots in the back and one of them already has a 256mb locked ram in place and the other is empty.)I have also come to know that UNofficialy you can put in two 1gb rams in each of the slots and hence get a 2gb ram computer so my problem is this:
1.I want to remove the fixed/soldered slot ram and put two rams both of 1gb in the two slots.I havent found a guide to do this although I have found at lots of places that only the EMpty slot has been given 1 gb ram.
2.I dont know how to do this and am looking for help.
3.I would also request for the correct specifications for both the rams and please dont suggest crucial.com because it just gives the same stupid info that 256mb is the limit

My computer is 3yrs old and I want to upgrade this one rather than getting a new one.Also my warranty has expired and so I think I can use both the slots now

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell inspiron 1000 2gb ram upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell inspiron 1000 2gb ram upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About the ram.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 7:50 AM PST

Do look at what crucial.com offers for your machine.

1.I want to remove the fixed/soldered slot ram and put two rams both of 1gb in the two slots.I havent found a guide to do this although I have found at lots of places that only the EMpty slot has been given 1 gb ram.

With due respect, if a person had the skill to do this they would not ask for the guide. Let me be blunt. "Never going to happen."

2.I dont know how to do this and am looking for help.

Again, "never going to happen." I apologize for being blunt let's save everyone time here and ending up with a dead laptop.

3.I would also request for the correct specifications for both the rams and please dont suggest crucial.com because it just gives the same stupid info that 256mb is the limit

We don't use the S word here. Machines from years ago had limits like that. To exceed those limits you must be an electronics designer with all the inside information that the makers WILL NOT BE GIVING YOU.

Please abandon this project before you lose the machine altogether.

In closing, watch this video -> http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13415_53-10121584-11.html titled "Use a flash drive as memory in Windows XP"

Good luck and hope you understand I'm trying to keep you from losing your machine.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks but the problem was different
by varunreeves / December 21, 2008 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: About the ram.

@bob I guess you are trying to help and thanks for your reply but the problem was not that and there is just one other thing I want to add,with due respect ,If I keep on looking I probably would find millions who would give me that answer that I cannot do it just because I asked and somehow inherently they assume that anyone who knows how do it would not have learned it somewhere but was born with the skill because otherwise if there was one single person who could learn it then I am sure that I can probably with less expertise but that I think is besides the question.
My main concern is That I am doing my master's in computer science from MIT and have unfortunately a very slow laptop and since I dont have a warranty on it I just want to increase the ram which would allow the comp to work for the next yr and be with me and help me out.AS it is now it is too slow and I cannot buy a new computer so I am stuck.The paging file increase trick that you showed me not actually a direct increase of Ram and so not very effective.I have seen forums online where people report that it has been done and that they have been able to use the laptop for a long time.People around me also have done some ground breaking stuff but I thought of postin at the best of places so they could suggest a way.I never said that ther was no risk and I was not willing to take one but since I see so many posts and pardon me one especially in this forum itself so I think I am justified in asking for some help with this.

I beg you pardon for using the "stupid" word .

thanks

Collapse -
Let me share a recent acquisition.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 9:17 AM PST

I bent my budget and picked up one of those Acer Aspire Ones with 1G Ram, 160GB hard disk and more for about what we used to spend on a ram upgrade. There are refurbs out there for that much if you can't get by on the netbook but you will be seeing my offer this as a solution because... I'm running XP, Office 2003 and Visual Studio on this little marvel.

Check it out.

-> Back on subject. I'm an electronics designer and even with all I know I would never think about such an endeavor. In the amount of time and costs involved (not just the ram but the equipment to solder such things) I would have a fine laptop instead of a "project."
Bob

Collapse -
hello no offense but a 2 gb ram is only 30 dollars
by varunreeves / December 21, 2008 1:33 PM PST

do u mean that I can get a laptop for that price??

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 9:33 PM PST

But I'm in the USA where refurbs that are fairly current are found for 299 all the time. Your project could easily use up 299 bucks as you burn up a laptop motherboard learning how to solder, chips, sockets, rams and more.
Bob

Collapse -
Me too....
by Tinybeeber / January 20, 2009 1:09 AM PST

Hello,
I am also looking for guidance with the same endeavor on the same machine. I bought 2 sticks of Gskill 1GB, and am looking forward to putting in both. It has been done numerous times, now if only someone would take the time to give us a little help. I will let you know if I find something first. Cheers

Collapse -
Is this exactly the same issue?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2009 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Me too....

Above we have a discussion about possible modifications to memory sockets, solder, wires, chips and more. That sort of extensive modification is something your electronics engineer types may do but given the sheer complexity of the design you would not find such a discussion here.

Back to your issue. Are you going over what Crucial.com unrecommended or just need some pictures on where the memory sockets are? I couldn't tell from your post. The above machine will not accept the memory you asked about so that's a dead end.
Bob

Collapse -
Ram upgrade for Dell Inspiron 1000
by geoffzie / February 14, 2009 1:20 AM PST

I too have a Dell Inspiron 1000, and had read that memory was upgradable to more than Dell's stated maximum of 512mb.

I also have a Dell Inspiron 2200 (pretty much the same computer) that had 1 stick of 512mb - 333mhz ram ... so I tried it in the Inspiron 1000 and it worked! Since the Inspiron 1000's non-removable on-board ram is only 266mhz (256mb), the bios reverts the 512mb stick to 266mhz as well. You end up with 704mb of ram since the video uses 64mb of ram.

Since I only have a "Ram Diagnostics Program" on floppy (no floppy drive on these models), I couldn't run any tests ... but I surfed the web, opened several programs at once, and it worked fine! Next,I'm going to try a 1gb stick of 266mhz ram (no sense in using 333mhz since the bios reverts it back to 266mhz anyways).

As has already been stated here, I wouldn't recommend trying to modify the on-board 256mb of ram (it's on the MB, NOT in a slot) ... but these models WILL take more than Dell's stated maximum of 512mb total (1 x 256mb - 266mb).

Geoffzie

768mb helps these models quite a bit. on the net.

Collapse -
GSkill DDR333 PC-2700 1GB SO-DIMM
by Tinybeeber / May 27, 2009 1:43 AM PDT

I bought this GSkill stick at newegg.com for $25 (on sale w/free shipping) and on my Inspiron 1000, 1.18GB shows up in system info and Everest Home. A good investment.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!