Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell Inspirion 300m questions...

by johnny510 / April 25, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

I am not sure if anyone can help, but I have a few questions about a dell inspirion 300m notebook I want to purchase. The first question I have is concerning the processor. The specs list it as a intel pentium m processor and I'm not sure how this differs from a intel pentium 4. Second, the standard memory is 256mb shared memory. I've been looking through various sources and I can't determine whether shared memory is better or worse than notebooks which don't use this. Finally, I have not checked but I was wondering how reliable intel centrino technology is. If anyone has the time and doesn't mind answering it would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Inspirion 300m questions...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Inspirion 300m questions...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Dell Inspirion 300m questions...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2004 6:57 AM PDT

Define "reliable." The centrino works just fine, but I find the definition of what you are asking to determine how to reply to that.

Given it's a laptop, you will find that the battery will likely need replacing just about 18 months out. As such, this could in itself be considered an unreliable battery. But this is the state of the art for the price we are paying for these units.

Also, since it's not a ruggedized laptop, it doesn't survive a fall from the desktop to the tiled floor. This could be a reliability issue.

And then we have that pesky OS issue. Just leaving the preview enabled in Outlook Express can cause the machine to become infested with any number of parasites. That's 3 counts against "reliable" but all but that rugged (and more expensive) laptops have these issues.

Tell a bit more...

As to Centrino or P4, all the dirty details are at www.intel.com in the developer links. But I suspect your questions are not about the details but something else. Spell out one question at least here.

As to shared video memory. It's a cost cutting move that results in usable laptops at lower costs, but never delude anyone to think it will play games like a real video card.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Dell Inspirion 300m questions...
by Critter_97 / April 25, 2004 1:20 PM PDT

The pentium M is Intel's power saving processor. It is made to vary how much power it uses depending on if you are running on the battery or on AC power. It runs slower than the pentium 4 but manages to function as if it was running at higher speeds. The pentium m 1.4 runs about as fast as a pentium 4 2.4 processor---(that is real approximate). As for the shared memory, it means that some of the 256 megs will be used for graphics instead of having a separate graphics card with its own memory. People who do business documents, E mail, surfing.....do great with shared memory. People who are into the latest and fastest games will find a separate graphics card with its own memory will run faster. Centrino technology is supposed to be very good. It is made to make your laptop run longer on battery power and be light weight. Hope this helps. Steve

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?