Dell forum

General discussion

Dell Insperon 6400 will not read DVD-R after burning

by Charlorne / March 20, 2009 9:29 PM PDT

I have no problems with a CD but nothing shows on
a DVD although I know there are files there and
it reads just fine on another laptop.

I can burn the DVD with no trouble. Just can't read it after.

Both drives D and E are visible.

The only difference is in the the Drive E there is no recording option after sharing
eg general, autoplay hardware(all working oK) sharing recording

My D Drive is DVD-RW Drive or if I insert a CD it changes to CD-RW
and E drive is called DVD Drive

I have Windows XP and use AShampoo burner 6 to burn
both CDs and DVD

CD/DVD Burner 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Hardware: Drive D and E Type
TOSHIBA MK 1032GSX Disk Drive
MK5088N OKH2217N SCSI CDRom Device DVD?CD-R
This device is working properly.
Can you help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Insperon 6400 will not read DVD-R after burning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Insperon 6400 will not read DVD-R after burning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this firmware update
by Osprey4 / March 20, 2009 9:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you
by Charlorne / March 21, 2009 3:25 AM PDT

for your quick response
I updated the drivers and I still cannot read the

Maxwell DVD-R 1-16x speed

I was able to read a Vakoss DVD+RW 4X

I tried burning a folder with some scrapbooking
elements in it. I cannot see it on my computer
but the file shows on my husbands LG computer
I used the Maxwell DVD_R to burn with Ashampoo.

Collapse -
CD burning
by Osprey4 / March 21, 2009 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I use a little utility called DVD Identifier to determine exactly what media you have. Maxell is normally a good brand but they do brand some cheap media, such as Ritek and Prodisc. If you find your Maxell discs are made by either of those companies, I would not waste my time with them.

I don't know the file size you are working with, but I would expect a CD could handle the srapbooking things.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?