Dell forum

Question

Dell Factory Seconds

by fefletcher / May 27, 2015 11:25 PM PDT

I'm new here. I'm hoping I could get an honest opinion regarding factory seconds?

I found a website that's near my area that sells brand new, factory seconds and refurbished laptops. I don't really want to buy a brand new laptop due to financial constraints plus, I don't need a new one anyway.

My question is, have any of you ever bought factory graded, refurbished or second-hand laptops? And it says there on the site that it has "3 Year Dell Next Day On Site Warranty" - is this the same warranty I get if I buy a brand new one?

The company btw, is ITC Sales.

Any insight would be helpful before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Factory Seconds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Factory Seconds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's been a topic of many a forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2015 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell Factory Seconds

Folk come down in all three answers such as "I buy them", "I won't" and "Maybe."

As to your question, yes, many have. But since each machine is a story of its own, past experience doesn't tell much except that I will write that this is NOT the same warranty as say Dell offers. That's easy to answer. It could be better or worse.

For example the warranty may be for hardware only. Given the malware out there most folk are lost over almost all software issues.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Dell Warranty Issues
by Stephen6388 / May 28, 2015 5:46 AM PDT

In my experience RUN and run far.
I am currently in the process of taking Dell to court as they won't honor the next business day warranty.
Replacement parts that have been used to try and fix issues with my laptop have now left my laptop overheating and my screen flickering. Now they refuse to send the engineer out thus refusing to honor the warranty sold with the laptop.
Then will even tell you that replacements parts are new but I have found almost all to be refurbished.

I am currently speaking to the executive escalation group who agreed to send out the engineer and then decided to not honor their agreement. So don't be taken for a mug and RUN.
I even have the emails and a recorded call to back up what I am saying.

Collapse -
Answer
Consider desktops instead
by Khale6 / June 22, 2015 5:55 AM PDT

I have nothing against factory seconds or refurbished systems but it would be far wiser to go for desktops since they are easy to upgrade. Big no for laptops - no matter how shiny it still looks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?