Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell E1505 Questions

For those of you who have a dell 1505, i have a couple of questions, i ordered one with a 100gb hard drive, and it came with a c drive with 66 gb and a d drive with 21 gb, where is the rest of the 13? and do you guys ever leave it on over night, because it gets pretty hot under the hard drive, i left my computer on for a day or two at the most, but i was wondering if it was safe to do that with laptops. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell E1505 Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell E1505 Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hard Drive space

In reply to: Dell E1505 Questions

As far as the HD, you probably have the symantec backup program installed that supposedly takes up a good chunk of space. I think the other option would be to go with the back up installation CD. Not sure about the heat.

Collapse -
Heat

In reply to: Hard Drive space

I have one and I don't feel the heat under the Hard-drive. Sure, it is hotter than the rest of the laptop, but it's normal because it spin at 5400 RPM. The temperature of my Hard-drive is about 44 celcius degrees and the maximum I saw is 55 degrees.

The Core Duo runs at 47 degrees( it makes 30.5 degrees in my room, it is normal ).

If the temperature is over than mine, contact the Dell support.

For the hard-drive, the Norton Ghost programs takes 10 GB of the hard-drive and there is another 100 MB for another hidden partitions for when you send the computer to Dell. They need this partition. If you format ( I recommend it ), you can delete the system restore partition and the main partition ( C ). Do not delete the small partition !

Collapse -
Formatting Hard Drive

In reply to: Heat

My 1505 is arriving soon and I was wondering if you could tell me how to do the formatting you were just discussing or perhaps where I can read about it if it would take too long. Also, what's the easiest way to remove all the trial programs? Just Add/Remove programs list?

Thanks.

Collapse -
The best way : format

In reply to: Formatting Hard Drive

You're better to format the hard-drive.

The system will delivers better performances after the clean install.

Startup will be faster, the system more stable.

Don't forget to download all your drivers on the Dell support website. Burn you drivers on a CD and install it after. You can also order the Dell Drivers CD to get some applications that were pre-installed ( some are usefull like the AOL trial ).

Collapse -
More help?

In reply to: The best way : format

Can you walk me through how to format? I really don't have much computer knowledge outside of running programs and things like that.

Collapse -
Ok

In reply to: More help?

First :

You donwload all your drivers for your laptop model. Simply go on the support web site of your laptop's manufacturer. Burn all the drivers on a CD. If you have a trial for an antivirus ( like Kaspersky ) in a .exe file, burn it also on the CD. It is the second thing to install. If the antivirus is on another CD, then, you don't need to burn it. You will have to put it in your optical reader to install it after you installed all the drivers. Also : make a backup of all your important file on a DVD ( documents, music, videos, photos, etc. ) or create a network through two computers with the Windows XP Utility ( Start - All Programs - Accesories - Communications - Network setup wizard - it takes 5 minutes maximum to create a network ) to copy all your files from your computer to your friend's computer or your desktop PC.

Second :

You must enter in the BIOS ( Basic Inpute / Output System ). Normally, it is not complicated. When you start your computer, you have an option to enter in the BIOS ( on my desktop, your press the DELETE key on the keyboard, others are the space bar ). Any BIOS is the same so I can't describe you in details. But most BIOS have a section of BOOT SEQUENCE or something like that. You must put the optical reader ( your DVD reader ) at the first position. Why ? The system will detect the Windows XP CD in first so it will be able to boot from the CD. Once you made tthe change, exit the BIOS. Normally, the machine will restart.

After :

You simply follow the instructions at the screen. THe system will tell you how many partition you can format. If you find one small partition ( approximately 5 to 10 GB ), it is the system restore partition. It can re-install Windows like it was when you push the Power Button the first time. Don't erease it. It can be useful if you are on a trip and you got a virus that destroy your computer. You simply have to read your manual and press the key during the startup ( in my isnpiron 6400, it is CRTL+F11 I think ) to re-install your operating system, but with all the softwares installed by the manufacturer. You can creat a new partition or format the actual partition. Format this last. It will erease all the files in it. After, you have to do a mathematic equation. 1024 MB = 1 GB. The system will show you how much space available you have on your hard-drive. If you have 71680 MB available, you have 70 GB. Insert number of MB you want or insert the number of MB available that show you the system if you want one master partition -- I recommend to have one partition. You don't have to search through two when you are looking for a file. Be sure that you don't leave 1 or 2 MB. You loose this 1 or 2 MB because they are not partitioned. Be sure that there will be 0 MB available.

Then, follow the isntructions. Windows XP will copy all the files.

When the system will ask you to connect to the Internet to make your registration, don't accept the proposition. You will not be able to connect to the Internet because your drivers for your network / wireless card isn't installed. You must install the driver to go on the Internet. BUT DON'T FORGET THE REGISTRATION PROGRESS AFTER THE REINSTALLATION. YOU HAVE 30 DAYS TO REGISTER YOUR PRODUCT KEY ( product key is written under you laptop, on a Windows XP sticker ).

Don't be affraid by the number of reboot. It is normal.

Ok. Once you arrive for the first time on your desktop, put your drivers CD that you burnt a few hours ago ( you must have an entire afternoon of free to reinstall Windows XP. But if you did this in the past, it will take 2 or 3 hours maximum to reinstall Windows, drivers, antivirus, softwares and to copy your files ). Install all the drivers that you downloaded on the manufaturer's support web site. Once everything is installed, install your security suite ( if you don't have, try Kaspersky Internet Security. This is the best security suite that I never tried ) or your antivirus with your firewall. Now you can go do your Microsoft registration ( if I remember well, you will have something that you can go in the Start menue ... ).

Then, go on the Windows Update and download ALL the available updates ( you need to do a couple of Windows Guenuine Advantage before and also an update to install Microsoft Update ).

Finally, install all your softwares and utilities and copy your files from your other computers through your network or your DVD ( DVD is the less complicated way to copy files ).

My god ... it is longer to write than I was thinking Wink

Good luck !

Oh, one thing : you have to be extremely patient during the re-installation Happy

Grin

Collapse -
Thanks a lot

In reply to: Ok

Wow, that sounds kind of complicated, but I will give it a shot. I should be getting the e1505 Friday.

Collapse -
heat

In reply to: Heat

Im not sure how hot mines gets, but i guess its around yours too (around 110 degrees farenheit) but i dont know how you measure ur laptops' temperature, hahaha, but how long do you leave it on since it gets so hot?

Collapse -
Heat

In reply to: heat

How I can get over 55 degrees ?

Very simple. It's a mathematical equation :

hot temperature in the room ( 30 degrees ) + hot temperatures since many days in Montreal + doing a big task like compress a big file ( over 200 MB ) with WinRAR + Desktop power management ( Multiplier at 10x, CPU frequency at 1667 MHz, Voltage 1.263v ( High voltage = more electricity in the motherboard = more heat ) = 55 to 60 degrees in the laptop case ( even 70 degrees when you make this during hours ! ).

Laptops are made for support heat. Only the Pentium 4 based laptops are more fragile to the overheat ( the voltage of the CPU is very high if you compare it to the Core Duo and the NetBurst architechture was known for its high thermal dissipation ).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.