General discussion

Dell Dimension E521 - starts as if new each time now

Hi,

I have a 3 year old Dell Dimension E521 which has been fine. My McAfee security software expired a few days ago and I only bought a new package this morning, because.....

When I started the PC this morning it started as if it were brand new with the message - "Your user profile was not loaded correctly"- and there's no Windows Mail and no Outlook with all my business contacts and appointments etc. Also each time I restart it it starts again as if from new.

I've installed the new McAfee Internet Security but when I restarted the PC it was nowhere to be found.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Mike

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Dell Dimension E521 - starts as if new each time now
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell Dimension E521 - starts as if new each time now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Actually that message

If I put that error message on google I see it's been discussed in depth.

In short the user's profile is corrupt in some way so the log on looks like it's started as if new.

The most common cause is malware. You may want to visit the Cnet Spyware forum to learn more and see what scans to perform next. McAfee alone is not enough for today's pests.

HOWEVER if anyone used a registry cleaner, that's a fine way to damage a profile.
Bob

- Collapse -
Will a factory restore get rid of viruses?

Thanks Bob,

Things have got worse in that I have not been able to start the PC even in safe mode.

However I was able to start by booting from my installation disc. However, even though I have been able to backup some of my personal files via the DVD drive (KHappy the computer refuses to recognise K: when trying to install Antivirus software.

What I plan to do is backup all my data/program files and then do a Factory Restore.

Will a Factory Restore get rid of viruses?

Thanks,

Mike

- Collapse -
In most cases yes.
- Collapse -
Wiped HDDs - help installing OS needed

Ok, well I've given up trying to remove the virus by itself - I was even willing to pay McAfee

- Collapse -
That note about partitions.

CNET Forums

Forum Info