Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dell Dimension 5100C doesn't POWER UP. Yes, it's plugged in!

by JoannN1095 / June 17, 2006 4:20 PM PDT

I have only had my Dell Dimension 5100C for about a year or so and I love it. But today it went kah-put on me. After getting my old dell computer up and running, disabling norton (per a tech support friend of mine's advice), and connecting both computers (old & new dells) to my super-old Microsoft router, I suddenly cannot power up my NEW dell!!! I press the power button and nothing happens at all.

And please don't be a wise guy if you choose to respond to this question---- YES, It is plugged in! I completely unhooked everything going into it except for the power cord & monitor cable.

How can I figure out why it won't power up? Will I lose my data? Did it get a virus from my old dell, which was acting strangely (explorer was crashing all of the time so I reinstalled my operating system, XP HOME).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Dimension 5100C doesn't POWER UP. Yes, it's plugged in!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Dimension 5100C doesn't POWER UP. Yes, it's plugged in!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wise guy
by PKsteven / June 17, 2006 4:55 PM PDT

First of all, I don't think anyone is or would be playing the "wise guy" by asking a question like "is it plugged in?" Many people actually do so. The point is still taken however and I will ask, could it be a power strip issue or outlet? If not, it is probably your power supply or a shorted motherboard. Did you accidentally hit the power switch on the BACK of the case? My son has done this before and I hit the switch, bam , power is back. And you DO need to check these things before assuming it's the pc. Plug something else into the same outlet, make sure it works, don't just ASSUME it does. That said, post back if all checks out and we'll go from there but as I said, if not, outlet, power strip, power button on back of case, bad front power button, then possibly shorted board or power supply may be the culprit.

Collapse -
Comp not powering up.
by Papa Echo / June 17, 2006 9:52 PM PDT

Check to see it it is receiving power:

? Light on Case.
? Num Lock light on keyboard.
? Monitor power-on light.
? Activity on USB powered devices.
? A "pop" from the speakers.

Power may be supplied, and stopped at the Power Supply unit inside the Case. Problem may be there. Check for loose connections. Check fuses. Have you tried exchanging power supply outlets for the two computers. If all the above check out, then maybe you do need a wise guy, but be one yourself.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?