Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell Dimension 3000 - Graphics Card

by bagelred / August 21, 2005 3:25 PM PDT

Can anyone tell me if they've bought this system and the success they have had with it?

I hear the Intel Integrated Graphics Card is not great. Does this really make a difference or is this just an issue for gamers? Does this affect DVD play? Videos? Viewing websites? This is the biggest issue I have with purchasing this system since Graphics Card is not upgradeable. Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Dimension 3000 - Graphics Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Dimension 3000 - Graphics Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
graphics card is upgradeable....
by nerdyboy1234 / August 21, 2005 3:43 PM PDT

but if u are not a gamer, then the integrated graphics will do just fine for dvd, website, regular stuff.

Collapse -
Actually it's not upgradeable...
by bagelred / August 21, 2005 3:47 PM PDT

Believe it or not, the Dell 3000 has the graphics card built in and it's not upgradeable. That's the only thing that bothers me. I don't anticipate needing to upgrade if this graphics card will do all the basics fine and maybe some more. I don't intense 3D graphics support, but I want it to be ok for internet viewing, DVD watching, video watching, and all basic internet games, poker playing, etc.

Collapse -
no it comes with pci slot
by nerdyboy1234 / August 21, 2005 5:11 PM PDT

so u can just disable the integrated gfx and install a pci graphics card. the best pci- gdx card is the 5700le which is hard to find nowadays

Collapse -
It is upgradeable
by ihop4no1 / August 23, 2005 6:54 AM PDT

Like nerdyboy says, however, it?s only upgradeable with a PCI card. This is one of the reasons I returned this system. I actually purchased a Dell Dimension 3000 in April of this year and returned it. Briefly, here is my story;

The machine booted up but during the registration process, the dreaded ?blue screen? displayed and I saw a litany of errors on the screen. After calling tech support and attempting to boot the machine from the ghosted image (accessed by hitting Ctrl+F11) the technician determined that it needed the OS reinstalled. After I received a disk two days later, I was able to get a ?dirty? install of Windows XP (meaning multiple ?Owner? accounts were set up under ?Documents & Settings? and other ?odd? behavior). I then used the machine a bit to see if it met my needs and then discovered there was (A) no AGP slot (I had an AGP PNY card already from my old system) and (B) there was no PCI-Express slot for the new PCI-E video cards. Those factors, coupled with the quirkiness, prompted me to return the machine to Dell.

However, for your needs, it sounds like this machine will do the job. It really wasn?t a bad system and the price was sweet! The integrated sound was good and it was speedy! The integrated video was HORRIBLE for game play, but for watching DVD?s, playing poker and browsing the web, it will be more than enough.

Here are a few more tips;

1. Order from Dell?s Small Business site (they have better deals, usually free shipping + free printer or memory/hard drive upgrade)
2. Get the floppy. You probably won?t need it, but if you do, you cannot shove a standard size floppy in the Dimension 3000?s case. It simply will not fit.

Good luck!

Collapse -
by bagelred / August 23, 2005 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: It is upgradeable

Can you order from small business section as an individual? Is that legal? Does it matter?

Collapse -
Hint, Hint, Nudge, Nudge...
by ihop4no1 / August 23, 2005 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting.....

..Wink, Wink...

...well, um, I don't think it's ILLEGAL. But hey, we're all in "business" for ourselves, right?

At any rate, I don't want to tell you to do something you're not comfortable with. Use your better judgement. (hint, hint, nudge, nudge....)

Collapse -
no it's not that great, but it'll work as has been said
by ozos / August 25, 2005 4:05 AM PDT

it's a basic chip designed for basic use
it's intended for doing everything you've described there

if you wanted to play some games you could consider a basic PCI graphics card such as a PCI GeForce FX 5200 (around $55) or even a little lower cost GeForce4 MX (around $35) or Radeon 7000 or 7500 ($25-$40))

i'd suggest getting the Dimension 3000, and this card:

it'll bring the total to still being under $400
and with that card you can play some 3D games and probably have a little smoother operation (The integrated graphics uses the CPU to perform most of it's calculations, while that card has a dedicated processor for just displaying images, so it can alleviate a little load from the CPU)

with or without that card the machine will be fine for your needs
with that card the only difference is that you can output to two displays at once, and you can run 3D games much smoother

Collapse -
Add Graphics Card to Dimension 3000
by Tommy N. / March 8, 2006 4:04 PM PST

Please let me know where I can read step-by-step instruction how to add Graphics Card to Dell Dimension 3000. My integrated Intel 82865G Graphics Controller does not work.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?