Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell Dimension 3000

by bportpat / November 5, 2005 10:25 AM PST

My mom has a Dell Dimension 3000 with a 2.8GHz win Xp home and she was offered it to me and she will take my 1.6GHz dell becuase she feels she doesnt need the space.

And i would have gladly taken this pc off her hands but after looking at the pc the video card is build in and there is not AGP slot and i wanted to keep my 128 card with me.

So to my question, is there a mobo that i could put into this case and would have a AGP and like 2 or 3 PCI's

Thanks for the help Pat

If u need more info just ask sometimes i dont know what people need to help me find the answers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Dimension 3000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Dimension 3000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) and use the same processor
by bportpat / November 5, 2005 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Dell Dimension 3000
Collapse -
or should i buy a PCI Video card
by bportpat / November 5, 2005 11:35 AM PST

everyone tells me that AGP is better but if i can get a PCI video card for like $60 that would be cheaper than a mobo and i would still get the 2.8 GHz i want

Collapse -
some upgrading thoughts
by linkit / November 5, 2005 1:41 PM PST
In reply to: Dell Dimension 3000

There are Intel P4 processors at 2.8GHz that fit into socket 478 boards and socket 775 boards. You need to find out which CPU you have.

A good way to do that is to run a utility like Belarc Advisor (Download.com) or Everest Home Edidtion (Lavalys.com). What is the name of the motherboard in the computer, the name of the CPU, CPU cache amounts, CPU alias. What about the other computer?

You may end up having to pop the 2.8GHz CPU into a new motherboard, case, and PSU because Dell does use some nonstandard parts.

Or you could avoid a new motherboard by just popping in a PCI video card like the nVidia FX5700 based card. Anyhing much beter will have to be AGP or PCI Express.

Collapse -
some upgrading thoughts (addendum)
by linkit / November 5, 2005 1:49 PM PST

I generally leave such systems "as is" until the need arises (when I notice a major performance deficiency). I save money that way. I also save myself from buyer's remorse by not throwing money at upgrade components that aren't close to today's technology; however, this is always a personal call, governed by the ol' budget.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.