Dell forum

General discussion

Dell Dimension 2400 is slow; RAM upgrade? help please!

by pracprofalc / August 21, 2009 6:12 AM PDT

HI everyone,
I own a Dell Dimension 2400 from like 4 or 5 years ago, which has become reeeeaaalll slow recently. Its configuration is Pentium 4 2.6 GHz processor with 256 MB DDR RAM.

It takes 5-10minutes to boot up. Another 5 minutes for even a browser like Firefox to startup.

I did the usual disk cleanup, defragmentation, etc to help speed it up.

Now, will adding RAM improve my system?? I opened and saw that there are only 2 long slots for RAM, 1 of which has this 256 MB RAM seated in it.

Do you all think this is the best way to get it functional again? If so, how much RAM should I upgrade it? 2GB, 4GB or even more?

Is there a maximum limit on the number of GB RAM that this computer will run on?

Please help me out.

Thanks in Advance!!

Take care!

Prac

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Dimension 2400 is slow; RAM upgrade? help please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Dimension 2400 is slow; RAM upgrade? help please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi, Prac:
by Osprey4 / August 23, 2009 10:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks!
by pracprofalc / August 23, 2009 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi, Prac:

Hi Osprey4,
Thanks so much for your reply. I used sites like crucial to locate the RAM I need. I will get it soon, install it and then reinstall the OS too.....

thanks for ur reply!

Collapse -
Upgrade Ram and the reinstall OS
by Uprising131 / August 24, 2009 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Hey I notice your post, well i think you should upgrade the ram and then do a system reinstall... the dimension 2400 can have up to 2gb of ram, no more than that... the motherboard can only support 2gb.. and it can use pc2700 or pc3200 b/c 3200 is backyard compatible... if you need instructions you can get back to me...

Collapse -
thanks
by pracprofalc / August 26, 2009 12:40 PM PDT

Thanks! I will do the OS reinstall after I upgrade the RAM. Happy

Collapse -
pc2700 and pc3200 memory modules
by jnsogburn / March 13, 2010 2:01 AM PST

I also own a circa 2004 dell dimension 2400 @ 2.8ghz. svc tag is J054851. My original packing info shows a pc2700 memory @ 333mhz. When I go to the dell support site and enter my tag the return is for pc3200 memory @ 400mhz. If both are compatible I certainly would perfer the faster module. Just need to confirm is the pc3200 will function correctly. Thank you

Collapse -
Should be fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2010 2:07 AM PST

But there are no less than a dozen other specifications to check (not an offer to do that) which is why most of us will go with the maker's product or crucial.com

Bob

Collapse -
how should i ground myself?
by pracprofalc / August 26, 2009 12:42 PM PDT

how should i ground myself before installing the RAM? is it ok to touch any metal inside the PC case?

Collapse -
installing Ram
by Uprising131 / August 26, 2009 1:42 PM PDT

Well, when i installed mines, after i unpluged all of the wires n cables from the computer and opened it, i press and held the power button for 3 seconds and that should ground the motherboard, then i just installed the ram... i didnt ground myself to anything, it seems to work.

Collapse -
Installing RAM
by pracprofalc / August 26, 2009 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: installing Ram

Great! Thanks uprising! I will do the same. I saw another thread where people went on for 3 pages on grounding oneself. Wasn't sure what to do. BTW, I got a great deal on Crucial RAM from newegg site.

Take Care!

Collapse -
ran into a problem installing RAM
by pracprofalc / September 1, 2009 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: installing Ram

Hey Uprising,
I got my RAM today and installed it. The computer acted fast and booted up pretty well. But when I looked under system in control panel, it only showed as recognizing 1GB RAM, not the 2GB i had installed. Previously, I had a 256MB card in the slot, which I removed. Is it possible that the slot I never used before is not working?

What can I do to fix this problem?

Please help. Thanks,

Prac

P.S. I checked if its seated in the slot properly and it is. So that's definitely not the problem.

Collapse -
Hi, Prac:
by Osprey4 / September 1, 2009 10:14 AM PDT

Boot to the BIOS (F2) and check what is reported there.

Collapse -
BIOS result
by pracprofalc / September 1, 2009 10:39 AM PDT

Same deal here...shows 1024MB ...as in 1GB RAM.......

Collapse -
Its working!
by pracprofalc / September 2, 2009 3:55 AM PDT

Hey,
Its working now. I just kept switching the cards and slots and kept experimenting. Somehow it worked.

nonetheless, thanks for your help.

Bye!

Collapse -
Good
by Uprising131 / September 2, 2009 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Its working!

thats good its working... well maybe u needed to just reinsert them n the computer probally pick it up... well thats good... i kinda need some help guys.. my computer works fine, if i was to run dell diagnostics and anything i do in windows like browse online or w.e works... but as soon as i play a song.. it plays and then it locks up, it has like a few lines comming down in 2 rows or 3.. i took a pic of it.. if anyone can help me... ill appreciate it...

Collapse -
try posting as a new topic
by pracprofalc / September 2, 2009 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Good

hey uprising,
try posting ur thing as a new topic so experts can try to help u out....only thing i would suggest is:
1. try playing the same song in another music software than the one it freezes in
2. try playing a different song in the player it freezes in
3. if its the music player, try uninstalling and reinstalling.

sorry i can't offer more...that's all i know.

bye Happy

Collapse -
Thankz
by Uprising131 / September 3, 2009 7:44 PM PDT

thanks guys.. i tried that but no luck so i fully reinstalled windows and updated everything and now im installing my programs.. hopefully i run the diagnostics from dell support center and everything is good.. btw umm im kinda new to this.. how to i create a new topic?

Collapse -
creating a new thread
by pracprofalc / September 3, 2009 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Thankz

well i guess ur topic is dell related so go to this link:

http://forums.cnet.com/dell-forum/

ul see 'create a new thread' at the top

click on it and follow the instructions! that's it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.