General discussion

Dell Desktop won't start up (USB Related)

I got a external USB hub for my Dell Vostro Desktop (note: I bought the HUB BECAUSE of this problem so I dont think its the case) and I admittingly do plug a lot of USB in, but lately when I start the computer up, at the initial 'Dell Screen' before windows loads it gets stuck there and stays there.

The solution to get it to start is to unplug the usb hub (which has 4 things plugged into it) and then it will start up and I re plug in the hub after windows loads.

I have to do this EVERY time, why would USB be causing this?

USB things I have hooked up:

2 USB External Hard drives
A Mouse, A keyboard
A game controller USB receiver
Ipod Cable

Now I guess its kind of a lot of things, but it should be able to handle 6 usb connections right? I also notice sometimes the ipod through USB data transfers VERY slow.

Its like its getting overloaded, any way to fix this?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dell Desktop won't start up (USB Related)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell Desktop won't start up (USB Related)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
, why would USB be causing this?

My kid's machine did that. Eventually the maker issued a new bios and now it seems fine. As we can't fix a bios you have to ask Dell if they are going to issue a new one that addresses your issue.

The theory is that the BIOS is looking for bootable devices.
Bob

- Collapse -
If that's the theory ...

it might be possible to tell the BIOS in the BIOS setup to forget about it and only search for a CD and the hard disk.

Kees

- Collapse -
USB hub

Is this a powered hub or USB driven? If it is USB driven (no a/c input) would not likely support all of the peripherals you have hooked up.

- Collapse -
@ Phil Crase

It has its own power.

- Collapse -
Yep, Try Changing BIOS Settings Like This

First, unplug all USB devices from the system. Next, start the computer and press the correct CMO/BIOS setup key. (Depending on your computer, it will be F1, F2, etc.) Once you've access the BIOS settings, browse the BIOS for an item called ?Legacy Support?, then disable/turn it off. then save your changes - reboot. After rebooting into windows, plug in your USB device, then with it plugged in, reboot - it should work fine. This is a fix for many powered usb devices especially printers which contain on-board computers.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
@Grif Thomas

Does EVERY usb connection need to be disconnected? Because I only have USB Keyboards and I wont be able to get into the settings without it.

Also, does that explain why data transfers so slow while there are too many USB connections?

- Collapse -
You Can Leave The USB Keyboard Connected

It's usually only powered USB devices that cause the problem but it's best to disconnect everything you can when performing the procedure mentioned.

I've no knowledge why you've got an issue with data transfer but yes, the USB port will only transfer a specific amount of data.. If it's jammed up with lots of stuff, it will slow things down.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
@Grif

I got into the BIOS settings but after looking through everything I never found the Legacy as an option.

And the only thing I found saying USB gave options of USB CONTROLLER [on or off and it was ON] and speed [High speed or low speed and HIGH SPEED was on]

Any other suggestions?

- Collapse -
I'll Guess You Missed It..

For many Dell computers it will be in the "Advanced>Peripheral Configuration." settings area.

And I did a little checking regarding your USB keyboard and problems with it being recognized after disabling the USB Legacy support.. On some of the newer motherboards, it shouldn't be a problem but on older motherboards, disabling Legacy Support can INDEED cause the USB keyboard to NOT be recognized.

So you get to choose. Move to a PS2 keyboard and disable legacy support or keep the keyboard you've got and test whether disabling legacy support causes a problem.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
(NT) On This Computer It's At... "Advanced>USB Configuration"

CNET Forums