General discussion

Dell computer won't read SD card - Help!

I can't get the computer to access the SD card from the camera(ZanCam 3.1MP) or a reader/writer(SanDisk ImageMate 5 in 1). I'm using the 2.0 USB ports. The computer goes into "AutoPlay" loop. It(computer) recognizes the reader and assigns a drive letter(H) until I put the card in it then it disappears. I've taken the card to Walgreen's and the reader there read the pictures with no problem. Any suggestions...Thanks.

Frank

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Dell computer won't read SD card - Help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Dell computer won't read SD card - Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Did you try formating the card in the camera?

Some try to use a card right out of the box and this happens.

Bob

- Collapse -
Re: formating card

Thanks Bob:

Yes, I did format the card before using it the camera. Did it again and it still didn't work. Like I said, the reader at the store can read the pics on the card. That's why I bought the stand-alone reader, but that didn't work either.

- Collapse -
" I did format the card before using it the camera." Urup!!

Oops. It's a small problem I see. You didn't format it IN THE CAMERA.

Bob

- Collapse -
Yes - It was formatted in the camera

My bad...I meant it was formatted "in" the camera. And it still hasn't worked.

- Collapse -
Try another card.

Sometimes...

Also notable are those old JAMCAMS and other cheap cameras that don't really make a compatible file system.

Bob

- Collapse -
If Walgreen's can read it, and the camera can write to it,

I conclude that the card is OK. I suspect the problem is in your reader or its driver (if it has one). Are you sure this type of card is supported by the reader? At home, I don't use a reader. I use the camera's cable, and the camera's software to get the images into the computer.

- Collapse -
Or the camera isn't creating a good filesystem.

Look at the camera and it's "one of those".

To sort this out, another camera of another make/model would have to be tried.

Bob

- Collapse -
If the camera was creating a bad file system, then

Walgreens (I think it was Walgreens) would not be able to read the images from the card, and getting another card would not help solve the problem.

- Collapse -
Kidd, my background on this area.

I was a primary designer of this camera -> http://www.silentwitness.com/products/index.php?pid=2&catid=14

We had issues with the outsourced software and the CF Card filesystem in that. I can assure you that it is possible to create a file system that works on Windows NT/98 but not on XP and then works at Walgreen.

My advice is to try another card (cheap!) or replace the camera (not as cheap).

Bob

- Collapse -
Trying another card - Thanks

Thanks all for the advise and suggestions. I realize it's a cheap camera - so I don't expect much. If the pics are something I need right away, then I'll use the internal 8MB of memory. Otherwise I'll just get a local store to put them on CD from the SD card.

- Collapse -
Can read card now!

Here the problem was Norton Anti-Virus. SanDisk tech instructed me to uncheck "Scan all removable media for boot viruses" in the options menu. Did it - now the camera and the reader show up on my computer and I can access all photos.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Very interesting! What version Norton?
- Collapse -
Norton

I have Norton 2005 and that option is ticked and my older sand disk reader works fine, wonder why?

- Collapse -
Read what names work and which didn't....

ZanCam = little known name = lowest cost drivers = Quality?

Sandisk = well known name = solid drivers = you guessed it.

Bob

- Collapse -
Norton Version

Norton 2002 version 9.05.15 I have updated it since getting the computer.

- Collapse -
Which Button??

My sandisk does the SAME THING!!! I back my Microsoft Money up to a sandisk card because my old computer's (win 98se) floppy drive broke.

Now I have Win XP and the darn thing will NOT work after I insert the card. I also have Norton now and the stupid thing (norton) keeps giving me a very annoying "warning" signal of some kind, but no error message. Every so often an Uninstall Hardware icon will appear for the sandisk, which is no where to be located!!! argh!!!!

Anyway..how do I uncheck that box?? I've never had Norton before and I cannot for the life of me find that box now that I need it!

TIA!
Christina

- Collapse -
Norton Change

Double click Norton icon in tray. Click on Options, then System, then Auto-Protect, then Advanced. Uncheck the box that says "Scan all removable media...". Hope that helps.

Frank

- Collapse -
How I fixed my SD Card reader

I went to the manufactures website for my Computer there was a firmware update for my SD Reader, I installed it. Then I went to my system folder in control Panel went to device manager and uninstalled the SD card Reader and rebooted my computer. When it rebooted, it reinstalled the device drivers for the SD Card reader, I was then able to read my 4GB SD card as the old firmware could only read 2GB SD cards so there was update to firmware to allow it.

CNET Forums