Computer Help forum

General discussion

dell computer

by RhondaVSkinner / May 24, 2006 1:17 PM PDT

my moms is haveing problems with her pc. she is unable to log on to the internet. when she trys to log onto her user name it says it says that it is corrupt and that it will open a temperary user name. this means that she can not use the internet. is this a technical dell problem or was this from a virus and how can we fix it. her virus protection is avast and a scan was done and nothing was found so we dont know how to find out the problem. it may be something little but we dont know where to start. please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 24, 2006 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: dell computer

What is the OS?

Connection type?

Browser used?

Collapse -
dell computer
by RhondaVSkinner / May 25, 2006 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: And. . .

she has high speed internet through the local telephone company. i dont know what oc is and i dont know what browser she uses. i dont even think it is a internet problem. when she starts her computer a little window comes with user name like it always does. but when she trys to log into her user name it says its corrupt. not when she trys to go on the internet. her screen saver isnt even there. it logs her on to a temp user name. she can use all of the programs on the pc but is unable to go on the internet. but wouldnt this be because she is not under her own user name?? I have no idea. as you can see we dont know much about computers. hope you can help and thanks for replying to me.

Collapse -
We Still Need That Information
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 25, 2006 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: dell computer

Especially, the operating system..Windows XP? Windows 2000? Windows 98?

I suspect that there may be spyware or malware on the computer and it's caused damage.. Does she have antivirus and antispyware tools installed on the computer? Does she keep them up to date and run scans with them? If not, you'll need to install such and run them.

If her user profile is corrupt, there are ways to use other usernames, or to create a new one.. She'll need to log in as a user with administrative priveleges in order to make any serious changes. (When ready, If she's using XP HOME, then restart the computer to "Safe Mode" using the instructions in the link below. You'll be able to see a "Hidden" user listed as "Administrator". If the default hasn't been changed, there will no password set for that particular user name.. Leave the password blank, press the "Enter" key and you'll be able to use the "administrator" log in to make any changes needed.)

The internet access shouldn't be an issue for any user on the computer although a "temp" user may have limitations I'm not aware of. Likewise, although the screen saver is probably "there", because she's logged on to a new user, it won't show up automatically because she's using a different profile..

We need lots more information and although we will try to help, you may need to get someone sitting at the computer that has some experience fixing them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
dell computer
by RhondaVSkinner / May 25, 2006 2:54 AM PDT

grif,
by the way you are talking you know what im talking about. she has xp proffesional.i think 98 its not the home addition the computer was a gift from her boss. my brother is always downloading music and things from limewire, so you are probably right about the adware. she does have avast anti virus protection but i dont know if this helps with spyware. i scan was done and nothing was found. when she opens internet google is the page that opens, thats the browser i think.lol. my mom lives about 45 minutes away and i have to work tonight so i will go out friday and try the steps you told me.
thank you so much for takeing the time to read my post and writing back in such a way the i could understand what to do. as you can see when it comes to computers i dont know much. i hope i can fix this in safe mode and i will write back after i try.
let me know what other info you need and ill get it when i go see mom.
thanks again.
dottie

Collapse -
wrong info
by RhondaVSkinner / May 25, 2006 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: And. . .

sorry i just called mom and her program is windows xp 2000 professinal.
dottie

Collapse -
Dot, Thanks For The Added Info
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 25, 2006 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: wrong info

Because Windows 2000 also requires specific login passwords like Windows XP, it may not be necessary to restart into Safe Mode. It depends on how the computer was set up. If there is more than one user with admin rights, then you may have a chance to do it without reformatting. From "normal" Windows, at the login box, type "administrator" as the username and try leaving the password line blank and log in..If you know for sure there was an administrator password created, then use that. If this step works, then there may be no need for Safe Mode.

If you can access the machine by using the Administrator login, you should have internet access. At this time, please download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below. Running all of the scans will take a while but it is needed to clean out the junk. :

Ad-Aware

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?