Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Dell by Logitech keyboard problem

by Walter E / July 19, 2004 1:57 AM PDT

When I select the sleep button on the keyboard the message says "System Standby Failed"
The device driver for the 'Terminal Server Keyboard Driver' device is preventing the machine from entering standby.
Please close all aplications and try again. If the problem persists, you may have to update this driver.

I don't know where the driver is located and this problem just started a while ago. The key was working fine prior and I must have done something to cause this.
I have the standby feature working in the power options and it standsby at the programmed time but I want to also be able to standby when the keyboard key is selected.
Any help would be appreciated.
Walt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell by Logitech keyboard problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell by Logitech keyboard problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Dell by Logitech keyboard problem
by Cetin Denislam / July 19, 2004 2:15 AM PDT

If you have one of the following applications installed, as described in the MSKB article:

Q314118 - " Device Driver Error Message Is Generated When the Computer Enters Standby or Hibernate Mode"

you should look for those applications updates. If none of the above are installed, you should think about Spyware (for example keyboard loggers).

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by Walter E / July 19, 2004 2:45 AM PDT

Thanks for the prompt reply but I did not find a solution to this yet.
Walt

Collapse -
Part of the solution is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2004 2:49 AM PDT

Telling what you've done. Some will want a solution, but will not perform Anti-Parasite scans or tests. They just want the answer.

I hope you understand that knowing what you've done narrows down the possibilities and may find what next to try.

Bob

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / July 19, 2004 3:22 AM PDT

So, are you saying that neither Pgpdisk nor Adobe Type Manager are installed ?

In this case, you should run some Antiparasite Tools.

I provided reasons, you should find the culprit (s).

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by mp3artists / July 22, 2004 12:14 PM PDT

This is a known bug on the Logitech site, for many of their keyboards with the "internet" buttons on them. The bug is with WinXP and 2000 systems. Some systems have power management settings in Device Manager as part of the advanced tab for this keyboard. I went into my BIOS and could not find keyboard settings for power management. So I set my monitor to hibernate and some other adjustments, and limit my pwr mgmnt to those parameters.

I want to use this box as server here soon, so it needs to get used to being on all the time anyways.

Try the driver update,. though I don't think there is a downloadable fix for this problem as of yet.

good luck and...
let us know if you figure it out.....
stay at it.

peace
Chris
http://www.chrisgardner.com

Collapse -
Solution to 'keyboard - driver - standby' problem
by calorate / March 9, 2005 3:02 AM PST

There is a very simple solution to this problem which does not involve a complete re-install or an update of driver or the deletion of certain other drivers (like Acrobat Type Manager driver):

Connect your (wireless) keyboard and mouse directly to a (1.0 or 2.0, it does not matter which) USB-hub which has its own power supply (!!!!). Connect the hub to the standard USB-port in your PC. The restart the PC and enter the BIOS setup. Make sure that in the BIOS you have selected ACPI=yes with S3-standby mode. If further down on the list it says:'Use APM', then select 'disabled'.

Problem solved!

One note: to get the PC out of standby, you need to press the power button. With most keyboards you cannot restart the PC by pressing a button. After pressing the power button on the PC, the PC should come back up in a matter of seconds.

Have fun!

Calorate

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!