Dell forum

General discussion

Dell Batteries

I have three Dell laptops and all of the batteries stink. None of them lasted a year. I replaced one but I'm living off the power cord for the rest. Surely, Dell could provide a better product than this. I really can't believe how bad these batteries are.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell Batteries
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell Batteries
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell Batteries

In reply to: Dell Batteries

I suspected as much. I recently purchased a new Dell laptop within the past month and my sense is that the battery is going to "stink" as you say. A friend had to get a replacement within the first 3 months of his purchase, it would only last 10 minutes. Surely they can find the technology to address these battery concerns. I never had an issue with my toshiba satellite battery in 4 years.
Other than that I absolutely love my new XPS1640. Wish they had a 9 cell for it.

Collapse -
Proper care of Li ion batteries

Obviously, Dell does not make their own batteries, but in fact use the same suppliers as all other laptop battery manufacturers. An abused battery can easily be ruined in less than a year. My suggestion is to read this for ideas on how to prolong your laptop battery:
http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Collapse -
Dell Batteries

In reply to: Proper care of Li ion batteries

I am well aware that Dell does not make their own batteries but should be acquiring the best they can to match the great machines they manufacture.
I was just commenting on a the fact that a friend (who happens to be a systems analyst and has been for many years) had to have a 6 cell battery on his new XPS M1530 replaced after only 3 months. He was quite disappointed and so was I. And yes we have discussed in detail how to prolong battery life. These Dell's aren't our first laptops by any means and we are noticing a difference.
I love my studio XPS 1640 and have high hopes for it.
Sometimes you get a lemon, and that's a fact. But quite frankly I think when you ask most people what one area Dell could work on as far as improvements go I always hear something like, "It's a shame their batteries aren't as good as their machines."

Collapse -
Afterword

But I do agree with you Osprey4 in that most people abuse their batteries and don't know how to properly care for them.

Collapse -
(NT) Wasnt your batteries covered by your warranty?

Collapse -
Yeah - strange.

In reply to: Wasnt your batteries covered by your warranty?

However, Dell do nickel and dime you on warranty of batteries separately to the main unit warranty on some models - but that's beyond a year.

Dying batteries aren't unique to Dells, but I will have to agree with the original poster that the cells in general seem to be becoming less reliable.

The Dell batteries I've had problems with recently have been with an M1330 last year and a Studio this year - ironically, just after I gave the Studio's to someone else. Both of these are 'sudden death' examples, where the cells just stop charging one day. I've also had Sony and Apple notebooks last year with same problems, and on a couple of (older) occasions I also have had shape-changing batteries with Apple, one of which required a replacement of the notebook as it was actually deformed by the battery.

I've had laptops since the early 90's (back when Ni-Mh was cutting edge) but over the three years or so I've had to exchange a number of batteries which I'd say represents a disproportionate increase compared to previous years. Mind you, three years ago was when I took up the ultimately highly unreliable Apples in a big way, and my share of Dell laptops dropped precipitously - so the majority of failed batteries for me have been from Apple, although Sony has had the occasional look in.

Collapse -
Battery Life

In reply to: Yeah - strange.

This is from today's CNET (maybe it's another forum) Hope it helps:

Getting maximum life from a laptop battery
by Watzman - 3/13/09 7:25 PM In reply to: Extending the life of my laptop's battery by Lee Koo (ADMIN)
Laptop Lithium Ion batteries are very expensive (quite a few of them are over (WAY over, in a few cases) $200). They CAN last 10 years (in fact I have some 1995 Toshiba batteries that are still nearly as good as new), but they can also be destroyed in less than 6 months. As an engineer who has both worked for laptop manufacturers and who services laptops, here is what I can tell you:

The most important rule of getting good life from a battery is this: If you are not traveling, if you are stationary and are going to be plugged into a wall outlet for a day or two or perhaps essentially all of the time, take the battery out of the computer entirely and store it in a cool, dry place (some people will recommend a refrigerator, but that is not necessary, will probably not make a difference that you will really notice, and can damage the battery if the temperature gets too cold (freezing)).

It's not clear why this is necessary, and on some models it may not be necessary (your post, however, suggests that it IS necessary on your model). However, there is OVERWHELMING annecdotal evidence that this is the single most important thing that you can do to have your battery last years and years, for the times when you really do need it, when you are traveling and want to use the laptop in a car, on a plane or in various transient locations.

The two likely culprits here are overcharging and heat.

While in theory the charging circuits should shut down [COMPLETELY] when the battery is fully charged, there is evidence that in many laptops they don't; they continue charging the battery continuously , albeit in a "trickle charge" mode. This may sound good, but in practice it can damage the battery.

Secondly, it is a well known fact that Lithium Ion batteries are terribly sensitive to permanent damage by exposure to elevated temperatures (and "elevated" in this case starts in the range of around or just over 100 degrees F (about 40C)).

With regard to elevated temperatures, storage in a turned-on laptop is problematic for two reasons. First, there is a lot of heat in the laptop (from the various laptop components: CPU, hard drive, power supply, etc.), and the battery is, to varying degrees, exposed to this heat (note, however, that battery exposure to this heat varies by model depending on the thermal design and placement of the battery relative to other heat generating components). Secondly, if the charging circuits do not shut down COMPLETELY, charging itself (even "trickle charging") generates heat from directly within the battery itself which is harmful over time.

Now, a few more comments:

First, it's probably not a good idea to remove the battery while you are staying in a hotel for a few days, even if you won't need it. The risk of forgetting the battery in the hotel room when you check out is significant (you can mitigate this by leaving the battery in your laptop bag, but ask anyone who uses PC Cards about "lost dongle cables").

Second, notwithstanding the general advice to remove a battery that is not needed and not being used, the battery needs to be exercised 2 to 4 times a year. So, once in a while, put it back in the laptop, draw it down to about 25% (NO LOWER!!) and then charge it back up to about 60% (or 100% and then back down to 60%; Lithium batteries store better with a less than full charge although in my personal experience I have not found the difference to really matter very much).

Third, if your laptop is really used as a compact desktop at home or at work and in fact doesn't travel much, removing the battery robs you of it's function as a "UPS". Solution: Buy a [real] UPS. For a laptop, you only need a small one (300 to 350VA), these can be found for $40 or less (sometimes even "free after rebate"), and a UPS is a lot cheaper than using a $200+ lithium battery as a UPS but destroying it over a period of 6 to 24 months in the process.

Also note that Lithium batteries have a finite and limited life in terms of the number of charge/discharge cycles, calendar time not withstanding. Although this varies by battery model, it's in the low-to-mid hundreds (say 300 to 600 cycles as a typical range). If you really are using your battery while traveling, charging and discharging it on a daily basis, this fact will "get you" no matter what you do. But, more commonly, people find that they have destroyed their battery without ever really using it, by leaving it in the laptop while the laptop was plugged in continuously. And we have already covered the solution to that problem.

One last comment, given the price of laptop batteries, it's worth noting that SOME extended warranties cover the batteries. If you are really going to be using the battery heavily (see the previous paragraph), this may be worth taking into consideration when the colored shirt guy at Buy More offers you an extended warranty at the time of the laptop purchase. Find out (IN WRITING!!) if the battery is covered, and if your use pattern is such that you will probably be going through more than the initial battery over the course of the extended warranty, maybe you are in one of those situations in which an extended warranty really does make sense.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.