Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell and Best Buy

by brlfqq / October 25, 2008 2:19 PM PDT

I bought a Dell Inspiron 530 - 30 days ago today. Last night I put in a cd and discovered that my cd/dvd player was not working. I tried the usual stuff but no luck. I decide to call Dell for help for what I assume is a minor problem. The Dell guy answers on the first ring and I tell him my DVD is not working. He says that since I bought the computer from Best Buy, Dell will not help me with it. I let him know how much I appreciate this since I bought it on DELL's reputation and the manufacturer's warranty wording on the in store ads.

I then call Best Buy and they let me know (after my telling them only that my dvd quit working) that they can fix it right now "over the phone" for the sum of $79.99! I'm quite surprised that I'm asked for payment for an "over the phone" repair on a 30 day old computer. They politely let me know that I can take it to my local Best Buy store and they will gladly fix it when they get to it and it shouldn't cost a thing! I let them know (politely) that that was ridiculous.

I then called Dell back and let them know how much I appreciated their attitude about THEIR products and received the same story.

I went to Best Buy and talked to 3 different people who all were suprised to find out that Dell did not service the computers Best Buy sells. Two of them pointed out the in store ads that touted the manufacturer's warranty on Dell computers!

I then asked if this was true of all the computers Best Buy sells. (That warrenty service was to be exclusively by Best Buy.) They discussed it and went away for about 15 minutes and came back to tell me that they were pretty sure their other manufacturers serviced their own products and again pointed out the "manufacturer's warranty" wording in their in store ads.

Caveat Emptor!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell and Best Buy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell and Best Buy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Passing the buck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2008 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell and Best Buy

Thanks for sharing this story. Mine is as follows.

I came this close to buying a HDTV at Best Buy. The warranty was brought out and I asked for a chair and they wanted to know why.
"I was going to read it." was my answer. It all went downhill from there and no sale happened.

Buried in the Warranty was the killer clause (which you may or may not find in your warranty) which was that if the repair costs exceeded the cost of the warranty they could opt out of the repair and refund the warranty cost. Think over what that meant!

By passing the buck I mean that stores have found that moving boxes is a way to make a quick buck. For most stores it's get the box sold and see you later when you want a new box.
Bob

Collapse -
Imagine if you ran Vista Basic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Passing the buck.

It does not play DVDs even if you have a DVD drive. Your post is too light on details but we have discussed that issue and how to cope with Vista Basic's limitations.
Bob

Collapse -
you're confusing hardware warranty with software support
by ramarc / October 26, 2008 8:47 AM PDT

since the drive opens and accepts the cd, it sounds like your issue is a software issue. software support is not included in dell's standard warranty:
1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis. Dell's "24-7 Support" would help you fix your problem and that's an extra cost.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/services/inspndt/530_DDCWDA1?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

best buy has offered to fix it if you take it in. if you didn't purchase software support, they're doing you a favor and you should take them up on the offer.

Collapse -
by brlfqq / October 26, 2008 12:36 PM PDT

You're misunderstanding the situation. Dell refused to talk to me about a dvd drive not working. They never asked enough about it to figure out that it was a software problem! If they'd said , "That's a software problem", I'd have included that in my original note. They flat out refused to discuss the issue with me! Their own web page about their relationship with Best Buy includes the line:"You can also contact Dell for basic technical support."

Collapse -
do you want it fixed or do you want to vent?
by ramarc / October 27, 2008 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: -- --*

just from "my DVD stopped working", i suspect your problem is due to upperfilters (which is a software/config issue). so, the dell tech may have run into it often enough to make the same assumption.

google upperfilters (or refer to the link below) if you want to fix it yourself but be careful since it involves editting the registry.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Collapse -
Neither!
by brlfqq / October 27, 2008 3:43 AM PDT

I neither wanted to vent nor wanted to get advice on how to fix it. I had figured it out and fixed it before I posted. My purpose in posting was to warn others who bought Dell computers at Best Buy, etal that Dell was not supporting them and that Best Buy's phone support was 79.99 per incident on a 30 day old computer!

You are correct that it was the filters. IIRC, I deleted the entry in the registry for the upper and lower filters and it again could load the drivers for my DVD drive.

Collapse -
Here's my issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2008 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Neither!

Why did Microsoft leave such a problem in the OS?

Was it to make calls to support lines inevitable?

Collapse -
Best Buy /Dell
by Jim Rutherford / October 27, 2008 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Neither!

I purchased the 530 Quad core and after upgrading my Norton 2008 30 day trial to Norton360 All Hell happened. I was wiped out as Administrator and my password would not work. Like you I contacted Best Buy ,Dell ,and Norton and wasted 8hrs of phone tag.Every company rep was from either India or the Phillipians no one gave any assistance. Best Buy's Geek Squad said that it required a password reset even though I made a back-up flash drive.For the sum of 299.00 they would fix the problem .I only had it 8 days and the keyboard was locking up the Dvd player could not maintain sound/image seq. So I will never again be taken for a ride by either company.

Collapse -
Return it
by Willy / October 27, 2008 12:46 AM PDT

Start the return process as you see what you're left with. It can only be harder later. You do have to "READ THE FINE PRINT" and if there is something that protects you or they failed, then return the system. I can suggest you now start jotting down all experiences in order to better protect yourself. Dell now has the nasty habit of simply not supporting if they can get away with it. They sell so many systems in no way can they provide anything near to make everyone happy, they simply don't provide the support or lacking. As for Best Buy, again read the fine print, verbal exchanges mean nothing when paper or contract(your bill/receipt)) if the final footing for all disputes. I wish you luck and if you need be contact a local legal advocate and/or TV one to include the local Dist. Atty. and file a grievance.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Returning the Dell
by brlfqq / October 27, 2008 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Return it

Willy,
Thanks for the advice. I certainly considered returning the computer but with the hundreds of settings I've made and many hours spent getting it set up "my way", I felt that the better course was to figure out the problem! I thought, at first, that the DVD had died but when I figured out that the system was recognizing it, I felt that there was hope that it was a software problem. I still don't know what caused the problem. I read in one place that it was caused by an update from Microsoft, but that was an update to XP which shouldn't have affected my Vista computer. The simple fact is that once I remembered how to search for the solution(I used to know all this sort of stuff like the back of my hand! My 4 your old XP install allowed me the time to forget how to troubleshoot computers!), I found that the solution was fairly simple and easy to find. It was well known enough that I found the solution in about 10 minutes of searching. Dell and/or Best Buy should have been able to put me on the right track in a couple of minutes but they both dropped the ball. I doubt the average computer user would have been able to figure out the problem or make the registry changes that were required to fix it. They would have paid the $79.99 or taken it in to Best Buy. Those solutions reflect poor customer service on the part of Dell and Best Buy.

Imagine if I'd called Dell with this problem. Dell asks a few questions and says, I've got it!, tells the customer how to fix it or fixes it remotely. That customer would be a walking, talking ad for Dell. "They fixed my computer over the phone in 10 minutes!"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.