Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Dell All in One Printer # 942 using with DSL

Hi,

I have windows XP, Dell 1000 notebook and am trying to use the fax feature on the Dell 942 all in one printer. I also have DSL broadband service. The fax does not work and I was wondering if DSL was somehow interferring with the fax transmission. It scans the document ok into the computer but then when it is dialing I get a message the phone line is in use or not connected. The printer gets connected to the notebook and I cannot filter the notebook because then the DSL does not work. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell All in One Printer # 942 using with DSL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell All in One Printer # 942 using with DSL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dialling

In reply to: Dell All in One Printer # 942 using with DSL

Try "manual dial" if the program lets you - if this works it maybe you need to slow down the autodial numbers - have a look at the manual, it normally means inserting ,,,, (ie comas) into the phone number which slow the dialling.
Peter

Collapse -
One other

In reply to: Dialling

Make sure you have selected the type of dialing your phone uses eg "pulse dialing"
If this doesn't work let me know
Peter

Collapse -
Sorry for the wrong advice still on PIC here......

In reply to: Dialling

PIC = Pigeon Internet Connection
Peter

Collapse -
Attempting to Fax over DSL Connection?

In reply to: Dell All in One Printer # 942 using with DSL

Jupiter,

Is your phone line connected to the Notebooks modem?
Asking as your post indicates you are attempting to fax over the DSL connection.

DSL, Voice is carried on the same line on different frequencies. Never will the two meet. So....

Your connection should be from wall to DSL Modem using a phone line. DSL modem via USB or cat5 (Preferred) to notebook. Filtered phone line to notebook modem.

Bill

Collapse -
Fax with DSL

In reply to: Attempting to Fax over DSL Connection?

Bill,
Thanks for trying to help. I have a phone line connected to my modem and then from the modem to the notebook is a yellow cable to the notebook. Where should I put the filter. I tried putting the filter on the phone line and the DSL would not work.

Collapse -
Connections

In reply to: Fax with DSL

Ok.... here goes

The confusion you are having is between a DSL Modem and a Standard Modem. (for lack of better words).

You need two modems 1 for the DSL and 1 for the FAX

Your post indicates a DSL Hook-up which is correct (Yellow cable (cat5))

Look on your notebook for another port, the size of a phone jack. If you do not have one you will have to get an add on modem card. This is your standard modem port. To this you will attach a filtered phone cable from the wall.

Bill

Collapse -
See the diagram.

In reply to: Fax with DSL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Better and Thanks - Bill

In reply to: See the diagram.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.