Dell forum

Question

Dell 8400 system settings for BIOS A01

by rdcoole / October 18, 2015 1:02 PM PDT

I started having trouble with the screen freezing up. As my install of XP Pro SP3 was many years old I tried to do a fresh install. The screen still froze up about the timeI got to enter my name. I then decided to do a factory default reset of the setup. Since then I get a BSOD on startup. What I need to know are what all the setup parameters should be set at. The BIOD version is A01.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell 8400 system settings for BIOS A01
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell 8400 system settings for BIOS A01
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's proper. Here's the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2015 1:09 PM PDT

This is EXPECTED with XP and a SATA HDD. I can't find a bios screen shot so look around for any IDE EMULATION or SATA MODE. Try changing that one entry.

All the other settings should be stock or default.

And yes, there is the old F6 FLOPPY INSTALL XP method but I find most users blow up on impact when they discover how rough that install is. Nod to IDE emulation.

Collapse -
by rdcoole / October 18, 2015 3:35 PM PDT

I'm afraid I was unable to find any IDE EMULATION or SATA MODE entry.

The BSOD STOP message is 0x0000007B (0xF789E528, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Not sure if that will help, but that's all I've got.

Collapse -
Here's a video about the stop 0x7b.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2015 3:53 PM PDT

It's towards the end.

About 52 minutes into this one.

While you could supply a link or images for me to check out this BIOS, I don't own this Dell but have changed HDD controller settings for years.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by rdcoole / October 18, 2015 6:57 PM PDT

Thanks for this. I did check the AHCI mode and it was enabled. I copied the Ultimate Boot CD for W XP, but when I tried to run it, it kept telling me that the device wasn't available and press F1 to reboot. I did it first off a thumb drive after making it first to boot from. Then I made the CD-ROM drive first, but it didn't work there either. I'm at a loss for what to try next.

Collapse -
I didn't know AHCI was supported in XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2015 9:09 AM PDT

That would be news to me. There's also other reasons for XP to BSOD on SATA drives.

I can't see your BIOS screens but for a Dell that ran XP (the XP that came with the DELL, not some XP CD you found) the BIOS defaults were fine. Then ONE LAST THING.

If I were to say install a huge HDD (over 120GB) then partition and format that XP will BSOD as noted. Why this is, is on the web but I don't see exactly what you are doing here.

-> As to the fix for the 0x7b via a Ultimate Boot CD/USB, that failed boot points to old drives or a procedural error. Since I'm not there I can't see where or why it failed.

Collapse -
Dell 8400 screen froze
by rdcoole / October 19, 2015 11:06 AM PDT

Under Drives/SATA Operation, one of the selections is 'RAID Autodetect/AHCI'. One thing I did was run the HD Diagnostics under Boot Device and both passed.

I now have a new 250G HD installed that I got last March. I reboooted it off the Dell reinstallation CD and now it appears to have installed XP ok. I got all the way to the 'Welcome to MS Windows' screen..... Except now the screen just froze up. Cursor doesn't respond. No response from Ctrl/Alt/ Del. I did a restart, after about 15 minutes it froze again.

Collapse -
That's no BSOD so...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2015 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell 8400 screen froze

The full lockup points to other issues. For example this machine is so old I'd replace the heatsink compound on all heatsinks (there are more than the CPU) then before the cover goes on I power up and inspect the fans. They must start up just like a new fan and not like what you see in old fans.

Collapse -
Fan replacement
by rdcoole / October 19, 2015 6:14 PM PDT
In reply to: That's no BSOD so...

The fans both seem marginal. I've ordered a new case fan, but the power supply fan is 2 wires and all the replacements I see are 3. Do you know where I can get a 2 wire fan? Maybe my best option is to just replace the power supply with a higher wattage model?? I can get one for about $45 delivered.

I thought I had some heat sink compound but can't locate it. Will get some.

Collapse -
3 and 4 wire fans work with 2 wires.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2015 6:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Fan replacement

There red and black so that's easy. The other connections can be ignored.

Collapse -
Fans and heat sinks
by rdcoole / October 19, 2015 9:42 PM PDT

I'll get a power supply fan and rewire it. Will also renew the heat sink compound on the mother board.

Will let you know how it works out when I get it back together.

Collapse -
Display freezing up
by rdcoole / October 28, 2015 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Fans and heat sinks

I got both the fans replaced and redid the heat sink compound on the CPU heat sink and another one on the mother board too.

Powered up and it ran for about 3 minutes before freezing up again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!