Laptops forum

General discussion

Dell 700m Vs Fujitsu S7000

Does anyone know which notebook is better if they are configured to have the same specs? The price isn't really a factor between these 2, I just want to know which is better. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell 700m Vs Fujitsu S7000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell 700m Vs Fujitsu S7000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Dell 700m Vs Fujitsu S7000

In reply to: Dell 700m Vs Fujitsu S7000

Read the new Cnet review for the Dell 700M. Fujitsus are still made in Japan (nearly all other manufacturers contract out their notebooks to China, Taiwan, etc) and many people seem to have a positive experience with Fujitsu.

A word of caution -- many Fujitsu models under $2,000 have integrated or shared video memory (which takes away from system RAM and limits what games or other high end video programs you can run). I did see a loaded Fujitsu model with dedicated video but it was over $2,000.

Dell, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, etc have dedicated RAM options on most of their notebooks (although the lower priced ones near $1,000 have shared video memory also) so pay attention to this.

64mb dedicated video is the highest available on many notebooks but some have a 128mb dedicated video option.

The video card is not upgradeable (soldered to motherboard)easily so make sure you decide what is ok for you before you buy.

Desktops don't have this issue as you can add an ATI or Nvidia video card at anytime if you have the expansion slot.

Fry's Electronics on the West coast stocks many of the Fujitsu models but not many other retail outlets have them (but of course Dell is nearly all internet mail order as well).

Many Fujitsus have the Crystal View LCD now which is very sharp and vibrant (only in XGA). This is similar to Sony Xbrite, Toshiba Trubrite and HP Briteview.

This new type of LCD may make your decision for you so make sure you see one if possible (on Fujitsu, not Dell).

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Dell 700m Vs Fujitsu S7000

Both of these notebooks have integrated graphics. Is this really going to affect video playback? I don't play any games with intensive graphics so the most I'm gonna use it for is internet wireless and regular internet as well as video and music. And if so is there another relatively small notebook (6.5 lbs MAX) that would be better suited for this?

Collapse -

Also I will be using it for typing a lot as it is for school. So it is also imprtant that the keyboard is not too small or cramped and has pretty good feel. Thanks

Collapse -

If you will really only use it for web surfing, Microsoft Office, etc. (and DVD playing should be ok but would be better with dedicated video) then consider a notebook with shared or integrated graphics.

Keep in mind, however, that once you have made that choice you are stuck with that on your notebook (not on a desktop). And, the shared memory takes away from your system RAM so if you get one of these and get 512mb you really only have 512 - 64 = 448mb.

Also, when you are saying you want a quality keyboard the smaller the notebook size the more cramped the keys and the more likely you are not going to like it for everyday use. Some people get an ultralight notebook for travel (like a 12.1" Sony) and then plug in an external keyboard and somtimes even an external monitor at their desk.

If you don't want to do all this I suggest you at least stick with a 14.1" LCD or larger for an all around machine.

Again, however, most consumer notebooks have 15" square or 15.4" widescreen (which is outstanding for widescreen DVD playback and a wider view of spreadsheets) and they come in LESS than most 14.1" notebook after the discount.

My X1360US (Compaq X1000 series) is 6.5 pounds with a 15.4" widescreen. Dell makes the similar 8600 (but 6.9 pounds) and Toshiba makes the M35 (6.2 pounds). All of these are outstanding notebooks for students and all will fit in a student notebook backpack that holds a 15.4" LCD (like Targus Matrix or Pulse, etc.).

If you insist on a smaller LCD then consider the HPnc6000 (8.5 review at Cnet) but you have to order that through the HP business at Hp.com not the consumer hpshopping.com. The HPnc6000 weighs about 5.5 pounds and the only drawback versus the consumer line is no firewire port.

Note that if you are a student you can get a $100 custom order rebate (expires 9/1/04), 6% student rebate and you can order via Fatcash and get another 5% back later (expires 7/31/04).

See X1000forums.com for details on the HP/Compaq discounts which would apply to any consumer notebook.

IBM's have excellent notebooks for durability and keyboards (and they have 14.1" LCD as they are for business) but you will pay more for what you get.

Consider the Toshiba Techra line for business and a 14.1" LCD also. Any Toshiba is 10% off a custom order online right now.

Note that all the notebooks I have referenced above can be ordered with 32mb dedicated video or 64 mb dedicated video. The Dell can even be ordered with 128mb but you don't need to go that high unless you are a gamer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.