Computer Help forum

General discussion

Dell 545s

by la321 / February 1, 2014 11:47 AM PST

Hi, i'm trying to see if my dell 545s can take a amd processor like amd fx 6300 or a amd fx 8350

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell 545s
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell 545s
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) No
by Jimmy Greystone / February 1, 2014 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Dell 545s
Collapse -
amd
by la321 / February 1, 2014 12:31 PM PST
In reply to: No

Can it take any amd processor or like any good quad core

Collapse -
when you purchase a Dell
by itsdigger / February 1, 2014 7:37 PM PST
In reply to: amd

it's pretty much locked up. Other than maybe RAM or a GPU, what you see is what you get.

Collapse -
(NT) No
by Jimmy Greystone / February 1, 2014 9:11 PM PST
In reply to: amd
Collapse -
motherboard
by la321 / February 2, 2014 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: No

the motherboard is a 0T287N

Collapse -
Doesn't matter
by Jimmy Greystone / February 2, 2014 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: motherboard

Doesn't matter. It's an Intel socket motherboard from what I can tell, so no AMD CPU will fit. Even assuming one did fit, it wouldn't work. If it is actually an AMD socket board, you'd still be limited to CPUs from the same general family and that would probably put it around the Athlon X2 maybe original Phenom days at best.

To use a more recent AMD CPU, you'd have to replace the motherboard which would likely require new RAM and would certainly require a new copy of Windows (or another OS like Linux). Replacing the motherboard on a slimline model will be no easy task, particularly because it will be difficult sourcing one that would fit inside the case. You could replace the case, but then you'd need a new PSU because the slimline one wouldn't fit in a standard ATX case. So at the end of the day, you've built an entirely new computer rather than just upgraded the old one. You can salvage the HDD and optical drive for sure, probably a coin toss on the RAM at best.

As Digger said, you buy a brand name computer, like Dell, you should expect that your upgrade options will be limited. That goes at least double for slimline and all-in-one desktops as well as laptops. Also as a general rule of thumb, the cheaper the unit retails for, the less upgrade potential it has. Inspiron has always been Dell's budget consumer brand, so you get an Insprion slimline desktop, you should expect virtually nothing in the way of upgrade potential. Don't even bother because you'd just be throwing your money away. Stick it in a bank account, stuff it into a mattress, collect it in a jar, whatever works for you, but put anything you were thinking of spending on an upgrade for that system towards a brand new one. It will be far better spent in that manner than trying to do any kind of upgrade to an older slimline model.

Collapse -
What does the manual state?
by Willy / February 2, 2014 12:29 AM PST
http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/product/inspiron-545

Take it from there if it accepts it. Beware, even if it can physical seat in the socket, etc., the bios/UEFI must be capable of acknowledging it and provide the access to operate at what its capable of. Otherwise, it seat all OK, etc., but never really boot-up or be allowed to. Worse, it can react quite radically and ruin the PC in some way. It seems what the other posters are saying, it's has become a non-upgrade CPU setup -OR- very, very limited one. The fact is is a Dell as well and its not that friendly to cpu upgrades, especially newer PCs. Use the "Dell parts& upgrade" area to see what's available for that model# as yet another area to verify upgrades.

tada ------Willy Happy
Collapse -
Been there Done That
by itsdigger / February 2, 2014 12:58 AM PST

Just the last couple of days with a 530S.

That motherboard is made for your Dell, it's a BTX and will only fit that Dell.

My motherboard has been getting kinna crabby and now three of 4 rear usb ports are broken. It's not worth buying a new motherboard with old tech.

I was gonna keep the case and just buy new guts for it but even a new MB would have to be custom fitted . Can't even reuse the case.

Anyway, back to the point. Enjoy the Dell for what it is ,when it dies it dies. Leave it alone

Digger

Collapse -
custom
by la321 / February 2, 2014 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Been there Done That

i was thinking of getting one built i was looking at the i7 but they are high it would probably cost a lot to custom build with a i7 and the case i was looking at was a fractal design R4 non window or if there is another case similar thats black

Collapse -
That's a whole different story
by itsdigger / February 2, 2014 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: custom

If you want to build a computer, do your homework.

Figure out your needs, what you'll be using the computer for.

Pick out the parts

Post the information in a new thread so the pro's here can check it out to be sure it'll work

Digger

Collapse -
quad
by la321 / February 2, 2014 2:38 AM PST

dell just told me it can take a quad core

Collapse -
Nope
by itsdigger / February 2, 2014 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: quad

A 545 can use an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400, or Core 2 Quad Q8300, Q9300, or Q9400

a 545s can only use an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400.

but do what Dell advises

Digger

Collapse -
"but do what Dell advises"
by Oldartq / February 2, 2014 2:06 PM PST
In reply to: Nope

Don't give up. He's going to waste his money.

Collapse -
I think it all depend on what you are going to do...
by Oldartq / February 2, 2014 2:39 AM PST

with the computer. You might not need a i7 at this time. However, I would suggest a mobo. that you can upgrade to an i7 later when needed which means 1150 socket, haswell chipset.

Collapse -
custom
by la321 / February 2, 2014 3:06 AM PST

does anyone know of any cases that look similar to the fractal design R4 a black design i need 2 usb ports in front or you can give me some names of cases

Collapse -
Here
by itsdigger / February 2, 2014 3:13 AM PST
Collapse -
case
by la321 / February 2, 2014 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Here
Collapse -
Nowaday, I am guessing most of them have usb in front.
by Oldartq / February 2, 2014 7:45 AM PST

I was looking at this case with the door. Have you ever use a case with door before? I got one..and I don't like it. It looks really nice when it's closed but it's a pain in my normal use of my computer. It takes up space and looks ugly when opened. That maybe just me but I thought I threw out my 2 cents worth, hehe.

Collapse -
your first best upgrade path
by James Denison / February 2, 2014 3:41 PM PST

is to increase RAM to 4 GB at least. You may discover then you don't feel any more need to change CPU.

Collapse -
i saw that
by la321 / February 2, 2014 9:15 PM PST
Collapse -
nzxt
by la321 / February 2, 2014 11:09 PM PST
In reply to: i saw that
Collapse -
Too bad they don't have a sale on this one.
by Oldartq / February 3, 2014 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: i saw that

I bought this a month or 2 back for the same price as your case. However this case is little bit wider than the normal 7" though, this one is 8". The metal seems thin but the construction is such a way that it does feel pretty rigid. I haven't put anything together yet. I bought the case because the price was right. I might also add I bought the H81M-plus mobo and a pentium G3220 at Frys at a sale as well. Pretty soon I will be ready to put it togther. Like I said before, with is, I can easily upgrade to a faster cpu when the price is right or when I need to.

Collapse -
pre custom build
by la321 / February 3, 2014 3:06 AM PST

is it good to buy pre custom built pcs i saw some on newegg

Collapse -
(NT) Is that the new name for "bare bones"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2014 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: pre custom build
Collapse -
Good question but it may not be though.
by Oldartq / February 3, 2014 4:59 AM PST

It could be a computer someone wants accord to his/her specifications and let Newegg build it..be it bare bones or complete?

Collapse -
newegg custom
by la321 / February 3, 2014 5:02 AM PST

newegg builds custom built computers? i didn't know that

Collapse -
asus
by la321 / February 3, 2014 9:43 AM PST
In reply to: newegg custom

Is Dell the only brand where you can't change processor or all prebuilt pcs like that i saw that asus makes parts like motherboards do they allow for processors to be changed

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 3, 2014 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: asus

There are many brands that have some models that use soldered down CPUs or such.

HOWEVER in this discussion we are talking about a BTX system which is wide open to other BTX boards and such. It's sort of like Metric nuts and bolts and ATX systems are English.
Bob

Collapse -
brands
by la321 / February 3, 2014 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: No.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?