Laptops forum

General discussion

dell 5150 or 8600?

Anyone have any strong feelings on the Dell 5150 or 8600? I'm not interested in gaming or traveling with a laptop, but I do want something that will stay current and run well. After pricing them both with the options I'd like, the difference in cost is rather minimal. So, any opinions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell 5150 or 8600?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell 5150 or 8600?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: dell 5150 or 8600?

In reply to: dell 5150 or 8600?

Neither model will stay current. In a few months it will be outdated.

This is the way of the PC.

Bob

Collapse -

Petunia:

The Dell 5150 is a Pentium 4 chip and the weight is 8.25 pounds. If you really want a desktop replacement (no use at all outside a fixed location at home or work) then take this one.

Otherwise, if you will at least use the machine occasionally unplugged, especially if you are going to set up a wi-fi (wireless) router network -- which allows you to use it anywhere in the house or dorm or surrounding area - then get a Pentium M based machine (Centrino) of which the Dell 8600 is an example.

Both these machines have 32mb dedicated video graphics which is better than shared video (which deducts from your RAM). If you played more games 64mb or 128mb is better but I have 32 mb in my Compaq X1360US (X1000 series -- 6.5 pounds).

Dell has a 10% off sale right now online as you seem to want to go with Dell.

If you do lean towards a Pentium M chip (Centrino) try to get a Dothan Pentium M (1.7 mhz or above) as it has 2mb L2 system cache now instead of the original 1mb L2 system cache. This cache is what makes Pentium M Centrino machines perform similar to a 2.2ghz or faster Pentium 4 with much better battery life.

Also, if you will use it as a 'laptop' and not on a hard surface all the time, a Centrino machine is much cooler.

As I told you before, look also at the Toshiba M30 series (6.2 pounds) and the Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 series (6.5 pounds) if you want a Centrino machine as they are lighter than the Dell 8600 (Dell has similar components and the 15.4" widescreen but the case was built for a Pentium 4 so that is why it is thicker and heavier.

Also, the keyboard on the Compaq/HP is much better than the Dell (at least the 8600).

It is nice to have a 15.4" widescreen for watching DVD's or seeing more of spreadsheets horizontally. All the Pentium M machines (including the 8600) have this.

But the 15" square screen on the P4 Dell 5150 is also fine and you will see larger web pages most of the time on a square screen (as only certain websites adjust for the widescreen).

Collapse -

What Bob means by neither of these machines staying 'current' is that the Microsoft 'Longhorn' update to Windows XP will be 64 bit. AMD Athlon chips (in notebooks and desktops) have this technology already and will run faster when 64bit programs and the operating system appear.

There will be an update to Windows XP soon (Service pack 2) which will increase virus security on the Athlon chip itself and certain programs that are 64bit will run faster.

Intel will be releasing 64bit chips later also.

But right now, I recommend the Pentium M chip -- it will not be obsolete once 64bit appears in earnest -- it will simply just be running still at 32 bit (as the Pentium 4 will also) so it will not be optimal.

But the Longhorn operating system is not out until late 2006 probably so the 2 chips you are looking at at fine for the next 2-3 years.

No laptop is going to remain 'optimal' longer than 2-3 years anyway. You can still continue to use it for the basics but new stuff is always coming out to improve performance (faster speed chips, faster hard drive speeds, etc.)

Collapse -

Petunia:

Also, if you would like a Dell with less weight than the 8600 and you decide to get a Pentium M (Centrino) system (and don't consider other companies) that about the Dell 600m series ?

The Dell 600m has only a 14.1" LCD but many people still prefer this size for more portability and less weight. The weight is 4.98 pounds. Again, get the Pentium M 1.7 chip or above for the upgraded 2mb L2 system cache.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.