HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell 4700 upgrades

by fleshman03 / May 7, 2007 7:16 AM PDT

Ok boys and girls, I have a few questions. I have a dimension 4700 and I'm thinking about a few upgrades. First, I'll tell you what and how I have it running.

Here are my specs:
RAM: 2 x 512 433Mhz DDR2
interrogated video
Intel Pentium IV 3.4 HT
140 gb HD
Running Vista Enterprise (same as Ultimate, minus Media Center)

I tried to max it out as best as possible when I bought it.

Now as to what I want to put in it. I'm planning on adding 2 extra gigs of ram 2 X 1gb. Here is the URL for the product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134046

Now I don't think I will have a problem. They match specs with the exception that this runs at 533 and the ram in the system is running at 400-something. From what I understand, it'll just run at the slower speed, right?

Now a graphics card is needed. This is the one I had in mind.

http://www.buy.com/prod/XFX_GeForce_7600GS_256MB_PCI_Express_x16_Video_Card_Dual_DVI_S_Video/q/loc/61905/203000306.html

Again, I have the PCIe card, so there shouldn't be a problem. My only concern is my 305watt power supply. I don't use all the features with the computer (all 6 USB ports) and things like that, so I'm not too worried.

So at the end I'm hoping to have these specs
Dell 4700
RAM: 3 gb 2 x 1 gig and 2 x 512
Video: Geforce 7600GS 256 MB
Pentium IV 3.4

Does that sound like a mean system or what??

What you you all think? Will I have issues with those parts? Anything I should know? Should I pull out the 512mb ram cards and leave it with 2 x 1gb or will it be fine with all four dimms taken?

Thanks for all the advice.

JF

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell 4700 upgrades
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell 4700 upgrades
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: dell 4700 upgrades
by ramarc / May 7, 2007 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell 4700 upgrades

your ram choice is fine as long it supports ddr2-533, but you need to determine what your current ram is running at. (cpu-z can figure it out for you.) the dell comes with ddr2-400 or ddr2-533, not ddr2-433 (which doesn't exist). personally, if you're running ddr2-400, i'd dump the existing ram and use all ddr2-533.

as for the graphics card, what do you plan to use the pc for? the 7600gs is an entry-level 3d card, can play some games, and will work fine with your 300w power supply. this evga 7600gs is a better buy at $85 before $20 rebate. if you don't plan on playing an games and don't like rebates, this evga 7300gt is $66 straight up.

Collapse -
RE
by fleshman03 / May 7, 2007 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: re: dell 4700 upgrades

I'm pretty sure it's ddr2-400. I bought it over two years ago.

As for what I use the PC for, I usually use it for school work and some games. I used to play America's Army, before it got too intense for the integrated video. Same thing with War Rock. I'm really looking for something that I can play some games and have enough. Oh and get out of vista basic hell!

I have a laptop that has a GeForce 6150. That has actually made it like night and day when switching back and forth. So I'm hoping a 7600 will be even better.

Collapse -
7600gs is your best choice then
by ramarc / May 8, 2007 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: RE

evga cards are good overclockers so you can get more performance easily if you wish.

this evga 7600gt is another option for $110 before $20 rebate. a 350w power supply is recommended but i've seen folks use in dells without any issue. anything faster than a 7600gt will require a new power supply though.

Collapse -
why buy memory that runs slower?
by jconner / May 7, 2007 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell 4700 upgrades

Get what your mobo support. Some memory can be touchy. You can buy 433Mhz DDR2 in 1GB sticks. Good choice to max it out. Your Video card choice is also a good upgrade, especially at 256. Some will argue for ATI. Consider a good replacement P/S if the Dell shows any age/wear but their supplies are better than the watts shown. But a really good supply is a positive upgrade to consider.

Past that a new Mobo and a Core Duo would be next and what you buy now will be usable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.