Desktops forum

General discussion

Dell 4550 HD Replacement Question....

by SamuelS / July 7, 2007 5:59 AM PDT

Help please. I Am having to replace the original WD300 HD in my 4550, trying to install an IBM Deskstar 61.4g drive and Am very unsuccessful at it. Originally I wanted it as a slave drive and could not get it configured as that either.

What jumper settings do I use? I believe I have tried them all and still the system does not recognize the HD at all. Device (0) and Cable Select and cannot figure out the correct configuration for this.

Please help, thanks.

Samuel S

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell 4550 HD Replacement Question....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell 4550 HD Replacement Question....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell usually sets their HDDs to Cable Select (CS).
by VAPCMD / July 7, 2007 10:29 AM PDT

Then no matter where you place a drive on the 80-wire, 40 pin IDE cable it works. Placed the end of the cable a drive jumpered CS is seen as 'Master' or at the middle connector as 'Slave'.

Hope this helps.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
re: Dell usually sets their HDDs to Cable Select (CS).
by SamuelS / July 7, 2007 9:49 PM PDT

CAPCMD - I have tried most of the settings calling for two (2) pins to be used on the IBM Deskstar drive to no avail. I now notice that there are 11 pins on this drive as opposed to ten (10) on the Western Digital. Could this be a source of the challenge or not?

Thank you for your input and assistance.

SS

Collapse -
Most of the Deskstars I've seen require
by VAPCMD / July 8, 2007 1:33 AM PDT

2 jumpers to achieve cable select and most drive setting combinations are marked on the drive itself.

If you don't see it...you can also find it on the Hitachi WEBSITE.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.