PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Dell 4500S card cage PCI slots

by janal95 / September 4, 2008 4:01 AM PDT

The computer has 2 PCI slots in the removable card cage.
I use 1 slot for my ethernet adapter, the other is empty.
The card cage riser connects to the motherboard.
The rear card cage plate covers are horizontal.
Directly beside the the card cage inside the computer appears to be another unused PCI slot on the motherboard with a rear verticle cover plate.
What is this setup ?
All the specs list only 2 PCI slots.
It almost seems like 2 out of 3 ain't bad music.
Thanks.
Ps. I gave up on getting an explantation from Dell.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Dell 4500S card cage PCI slots
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Dell 4500S card cage PCI slots
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is called a riser card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2008 4:14 AM PDT

It's just a way to accommodate giving you cards in small cases.

For the unused PCI slot, I won't look at dell.com documentation but note I've seen such used for the phone modem. Maybe something else but all this is documented. I didn't look it up but pulled from memory.
Bob

Collapse -
What to expect
by Willy / September 4, 2008 8:20 AM PDT

Here's Dell's link for the manual and/or specs website. If you don't have a manual or need the latest version, this should help.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500S/replace.htm#1101572

IMHO, PC makers re-use the same case design and tweak it abit to differentiate it from various models offered. The riser card cage is an attempt to gain space where it is at a premium. Such a riser allows std. sized cards to be used rather than "small/short height cards" due to space and ordination. 4500S is such a model and its card ordination may allow for better cooling as well. As for the spare or 3rd apparent PCI slot, it may not be one or its use is for "testing purposes" only when case is open. If there no direct documentation on its use, disregard it for use and/or it maybe an option that's service related. The 4500S was a basic system much like a small workstation or LAN/WAN int. use.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Direct reference - addenum
by Willy / September 4, 2008 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: What to expect
Collapse -
Thanks for responses
by janal95 / September 4, 2008 9:58 PM PDT

The card size option is solid reasonable explanation.
So, you use 2 in the cage and 0 on the board.
Or, 1 in the cage and 1 on the board.
Sounds like the PCI-ISA count on one of my old Compaq Presario.
In the future I may use a graphics PCI card.
I'll never need a modem.
I'm struggling now trying to make ICS work between my dial-up Dell 2400 XP Home and this Dell 4500S XP Home.
The file transfer and printer sharing are ok.
I guess my ICS problem will shortly become another thread !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.