Computer Help forum

General discussion

dell 410 xps

by rasamataz / February 8, 2009 10:43 PM PST

my computer has vista and has not been acting right for awhile. i would like to do a complete recovery bringing it back to the way i bought it but can not figure out how to do this. i did it once with dell but don't remember the steps. i already backed up my files. pls help very frustrated!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dell 410 xps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dell 410 xps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
format c?
by chickenorfish / February 8, 2009 11:06 PM PST
In reply to: dell 410 xps

assuming you have the vista install cd, put it in the rom drive and boot to cd drive by pressing f10. select the cd/dvd drive. select format c (or whatever letter there is) drive (not quick format). and make a partititon. then reboot and install vista

dell also supplies a dell driver cd with all teh drivers you need. once you get the internet drivers working, get microsoft update working to update everything

the only drivers ive ever installed were the video card, sound, and wifi/ethernet, and input drivers

Collapse -
Dell has very good online support and ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 8, 2009 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: dell 410 xps

if you were to go to the dell web site and click on the support lin k you would get this page -
http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?~ck=pn

From there you can, since the factory re-install is technical support, click the technical support link which will bring up another page where you can make use of your Service Tag or do without the Service Tag - since you didn't provide your I chose the "Proceed without entering a Service Tag" option.

A result of doing that brings up a series of links and one of them is "I need help backing up and restoring data on my computer". Since restoring is what you want to do it is logical to click that link (if it doesn't end up with what we want we can start again and look for a more specific link). Clicking that link brings up a new set of Links and low and behold one of them is "How do I restore the factory default configuration on my computer".

Clicking that link brings up this page -
Technical Support -- Restoring Your Computer?s Software to the Factory Settings

Reading through that page lets you choose which OS you had installed, XP or Vista. Since you said you had Vista we click that link ("I an using Windows Vista") and follow along as it leads us through saving your data files then restoring the factory configuration.

Of cours, if you don't want to go to all that trouble and your data isn't of any value to you you can quite simply:
1. Turn on the computer
2. Start pressing the F8 key BEFORE THE WINDOWS LOGO APPEARS until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.
3. Press the <Down Arrow> on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>.
4. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.
6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.
8. Click to select the Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition check box.
9. Click Next. The computer begins restoring to the default factory configuration.
10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer. The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

If that fails for some reason? The link above even leads you through that scenario.

BOOKMARK THAT LINK as tjere is a good chance you will need it again as you have already been through it once before or even better PRINT the pages and have them handy for future reference.

Collapse -
in response to my vista problem
by rasamataz / February 9, 2009 12:49 AM PST

THANK YOU ED O'DANIEL YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL. I WILL CERTAINLY TRY THIS WHEN I GET HOME.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?