Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Delivery notification:delivery has failed

by tomron / January 5, 2005 11:23 AM PST

How we doing,
Sometimes the sent e-mail fails and what comes back is like reading gibberish.I tried to research this but unable to find a web site to aid in translateing this. Does anyone know of such a web site.
Thanks,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Delivery notification:delivery has failed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Delivery notification:delivery has failed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not always good to check
by Willy / January 5, 2005 12:47 PM PST

Beware, sometimes that's an attempt in getting some malware oto your system. The failed delivery attempt message or similar can be deceiving so don't fall for it, especially if it seems to appear alot. If you send email to a proper address then it should have gotten there. The only time is when you "probaly" mispelled or enter wrong text into an email address. Don't automatically check the returned mail unless you're sure of the sender or you're failed email attempt.

good luck Happy -----Willy

Collapse -
What about the reply button
by tomron / January 5, 2005 2:43 PM PST

Hi Willy,
I received a e-mail from "MATHWORKS".I hit the reply button,but it failed,was that a mistake to hit the reply button?
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Yes/No
by Willy / January 5, 2005 8:42 PM PST

Yes and No.
You don't want to be active in such malware attempts to get into your system. The reply process opens the message(you do see the message?) even if gibbish is usually some font/language not supported by your system. Another cause is your email address got "gleamed" from the www and autobots are sending mail to you for whatever reason. Those maybe harmless but never-the-less are erratic spam. I just wouldn't mess with it, just delete.

If you haven't already use some spyware pgm. to help reduce malware. The most common are Ad-Aware SE and Spybot ver. 1.3. These will check your system, google for them and use them. Hope it helps...

good luck Grin -----Willy

Collapse -
OK Willy...
by tomron / January 5, 2005 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: Yes/No

When I first received this e-mail there was no e-mail address,don't know if thats normal.I replied,then it failed,then in the message I saw the e-mail address,"MATHWORKS.NL".I googled it and found the company,gave them a call,and was told that they had complaints from their customers regarding this matter but one question remains and that is how did this individual get my e-mail address.One final note,the e-mail thatI got did come with attachments and I did scan them and there was no problem,but for some reason the attachments are no longer there.
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Play it safe
by Willy / January 6, 2005 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: OK Willy...

I'm no fancy security expert, but let's say, I use alot of common sense. If you didn't generate or partticpate in its orgin, just get rid of it. At any time if you gave out your email on some public access or replied to some offer, etc. once your email address is out, there's no control over it. Believe me, once its out, it out. One reason here and elsewhere, don't wite your email address as it can be gleamed for spam or other uses. Even, if you get some email and returned(bounced) it, you've shown you're an active account, so best to delete. On top of that, your email in question has attachments, well that's a clue not to open it if you don't know the source. Play it safe, delete. -----Willy

Collapse -
Sounds good Willy
by tomron / January 6, 2005 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: Play it safe

As you say,don't open if in doubt.The thing is if I launch outlook express>inbox,and if there is a message it automatically opens,any thoughts?
Thanks,
Tom

Collapse -
Get away from IE and OE
by Willy / January 7, 2005 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds good Willy

I'm not that sure with OE, if you open OE, it should only display the listing of messages, NOT go and actaully open the first message at least that's what I experienced. Maybe, I have my configured differently. If that's the case, offhand I have to check. Under "tools" review your setting. To get away from OE entirely, use Firebox browser and then use Thunderbird available at: http://www.mozilla.org as your email client. Thus, you move away from IE and OE which are the most intrusive pgms. which allow malware a safe harbor with all the mischief out there they get the most attention.

good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
Willy,I have firefox...
by tomron / January 7, 2005 2:21 AM PST

and will certainly look into Thunderbird.
Thanks,
Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.