Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Deliver the mail every other day ?

by grimgraphix / March 5, 2010 12:56 AM PST

In an effort to save the US Postal Service, there are some creative suggestions going around. I found this one interesting...

The business of mail delivery is in natural decline, thanks largely to E-mail and the Internet. The Postal Service expects its volume of business to fall 15 percent by 2020, with its main revenue generator, first-class mail, falling faster. There are nearly 37,000 post offices in the United States, almost three times the number of McDonald's restaurants. The typical post office serves just 600 customers per week, far less than what it takes for a retail establishment to stay in business. On its current course, the Postal Service will lose $238 billion over the next 10 years, which is twice what the government has spent so far to bail out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

The postmaster general, John Potter, has a plan. He wants to eliminate Saturday delivery, raise stamp prices, close hundreds of low-volume post offices, and open up smaller outlets in places where people naturally congregate, like grocery stores and shopping malls. He'd also like to offer nonpostal services at the post office and sell postal products in other retail outlets, to bring in more revenue. Those are all reasonable ideas. But they're incremental at a time of revolutionary change. And as a starting point for negotiations with Congress, they're likely to be dialed back to a point of insignificance.

So here's a more radical idea: Cut mail delivery to three times per week, instead of six days now or the five-day schedule that Potter proposes...

Now, for one point... post offices used to be located in the old country stores that supplied our small towns years ago. I see nothing wrong with the idea of moving back to that concept, albeit a general store might now be a strip mall. The old post office building from the 1920's and the replacement from the 1960's in my city have both been replaced by smaller buildings scattered around the city, that feed there mail to the regional sorting center located outside of town.

Getting mail every other day would not bother me since I use a p o box for important mail, and only check my mail once a week anyway.

What do you all think about this cut back in services? Any other ideas that you think would work?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
I had a fit when they went to one
by Angeline Booher / March 6, 2010 1:45 AM PST

....... delivery per day. By now that is enough.

Ny brother had a postal savings account. Our local post office had marble floors and lots of brass fixtures.

There is only one "downtown" post office here. It has been in the 1020s "arcade" from the beginning. But it was put on the chopping block though it did a high traffic business. It was taken off the list after a vigorous protect.

I grew to dread those little yellow cards that said the postman had missed me, and that I could pick it up at the post office after a stated hour. No, automatically putting it on the truck to try again the next day is not part of the service.

Paying for "return receipt requested" is a waste of money. I have never received that return receipt to be sure it was received, and who signed for it.

I think those "forever", or whatever they are called. and those priority mail boxes are a good idea.

I think having postal services in businesses like grocers would work for buying stamps, mailing packages, money orders, etc. In fact Kroger, a supermarket, had an official USPS desk in the local store until 2 years ago. I did not offer boxes, which would also be impossible for others.

Now I depend on USPS for delivery for a lot of what I buy on line greeting cards, and some holiday gifts. I also pt up the red flag when I have mail to send.

There has been something reassuring to walk to the mailbox and find it not empty. Even if there was only junk mail I knew the truck had stopped by.

""Neither rain, sleet or snow" did not stop our mail service. It came down to moey.

I could do with trice weekly delivery. But not with a huge stamp increase.

Angeline

Collapse -
Wouldn't bother me much but I can see potential problems
by Steven Haninger / March 6, 2010 2:14 AM PST

Each load to specific neighborhoods could be too large to accommodate the vehicle being used and the carrier might need to deal with a heavier load and work longer hours. They'd have to test that. I don't see much problem with dropping Saturday but the Monday load would be larger unless they could work out a priority system and delay delivery of some mail as needed. But I really don't see continuing to increase prices more than the normal inflation rate would do anything more than drive customers to decrease use of postal services even more. They might consider that improved customer service would bring people back. I'd be happy to have postal clerks who exhibited some friendliness such as expected by employees in retail establishments. I don't know about you but, in my post office, there's obviously a sorting issue as I regularly get mail that's not mine and some of mine has turned up in my neighbor's mailboxes over the last few years including bills. I track these or else would have been hit with late fees a few times. The USPS does not take responsibility for mail or packages that wind up at the wrong address.

Collapse -
Once a week would be fine with me
by C1ay / March 6, 2010 4:57 AM PST

Over 90% of the snail mail I get is junk mail since I receive all of my monthly bills except 2 via email. As soon as my water and gas company get out of the dark ages I'll get those via email too.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!