HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Deleting URLs

by squinn54 / March 31, 2010 9:17 AM PDT

I have window Vista. I am trying to delete my typed URLs. I have been following the click on HKEY-CURRENT- USER and going all the way down to Typed URLs but I can't get the URLs to appear. What do I do. It seems that Vista is different.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting URLs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting URLs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / March 31, 2010 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Deleting URLs

Well, first off, don't go spelunking around in the registry. You're going to break something, and then you'll be upset about that.

Second, generally speaking, it helps if you use a few nouns. Typed URLs from what, for instance? Obviously we can deduce a web browser, but which one? Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome?

Collapse -
Deleting URLs from drop down History
by squinn54 / March 31, 2010 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Well

Thank you for replying. I will certainly be more discriptive in explaining what I am doing. My Operating system is Windows Vista Home.
I want to delete the Typed URLs. When I Googled for my answer,this is what showed up. Click on Start,then on Run,type REGEDIT and click OK.
Click on the + next to the following folders.(Vista does not have a +
next to the folders,it has an arrow on the left side of the folder.)
Here are the folders.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Internet Explorer
Typed URLs
The Typed URLs does not have an arrow next to it.
Basicly I want to delete Typed URLs from the drop down History Bar.
Is Vista in fact different from other Operating Systems?
Thank you

Collapse -
Re: different
by Kees Bakker / March 31, 2010 8:48 PM PDT

Well, different browsers are different and might have their own place to store their data. It's not an OS issue.
So why didn't you tell what browser you use, as Jimmy asked?

Kees

Collapse -
Deleting URLs
by squinn54 / March 31, 2010 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: different

Hey Kees & Jimmy,

My Browser is Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
Re: deleting URL
by Kees Bakker / April 1, 2010 7:23 PM PDT

In IE8, it's Tools>Delete Browsing History, then check the History checkbox and click on Delete button.

Kees

Collapse -
Get out of the registry. Use a tool?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 8:48 PM PDT

Why not use CCLEANER for this?

Clearing the drop down list might be as easy as selecting an item in that box and tapping the delete key.

Bob

Collapse -
Google...
by Papa Echo / June 23, 2010 12:46 PM PDT

Try googling for deleting browsing history for ideas.

HERE

Collapse -
Deleting of any kinds of history
by outgoinGSuck / June 22, 2010 8:01 PM PDT

can be possible with a program not manually. Try Mil Shield.It automatically cleans search, application & URL history of Firefox, IE, Opera, Chrome, etc. Never disappoints me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.