Desktops forum

General discussion

deleting unwanted files

by godsgrace1 / September 19, 2008 10:48 PM PDT

Goodmorning, I have files on my computer that I want to delete. I like to download the free trial games and i uninstall them but it seems as if it is in a lot of other places I don't know about. I also have at&t dsl and earthlink dsl on here. I don't use them but when I try to uninstall them then I can not use my road runner anymore. I have books in adobe that i want to delete and files in word that i want to delete but just deleting them in one place does not help.What should i do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: deleting unwanted files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: deleting unwanted files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Deleting software
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 19, 2008 11:22 PM PDT

Hi godsgrace1.

You have found a fundamental problem with today's software developers. Whilst they are keen for you to download and install their software, they are less than keen for you to remove it, and their uninstall procedures are often lacking in their thoroughness.

There is little you can do. Many software developers install files all over the hard disk, in particular in the Windows/System32 folder, Documents & Settings folder, and elsewhere.

Some of those you will never find and even if you do, deleting them can be hazardous to the operating system, because you can't be sure they are not crucial to how the system works.

What you can do, is once you have uninstalled the software, hunt down any remnants using either Windows Explorer, (or My Computer), and looking inside the folders Program Files and Documents and Settings for a folder with that software's name, or using your Search option from the Start menu and search for that software.

You can then manually delete the files and folders. But deleting from anywhere else is not advised.

I'm not sure what you mean about deleting DSL and Earthlink files. If your internet connection stops when you do, then it seems the connection needs those files.

Also I am not sure what you mean by books in Adobe and files in Word. Adobe books, (.pdf files), can just be deleted, and Word .docs can also be deleted. Just find them on the hard disk and delete them.

Not sure what you mean by 'deleting them in one place'.

Mark

Collapse -
thank you
by godsgrace1 / September 20, 2008 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Deleting software

for your response I was talking about finding the adobe books and word files to delete them. I thought I had deleted them but they still taking up drive space.

Collapse -
The answer varies with the OS but...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

Windows "Disk Cleanup" is usually needed when we need to really get them gone.

Collapse -
Connectivity issues
by helljack6 / September 20, 2008 3:04 AM PDT

The most likely reason you can't connect to Road runner anymore after uninstalling your AT&T and Earthlink (I used to work for these guys) DSL is because they both have made significant changes to the TCP/IP stack that your cable connection doesn't recognize. This is a common issue.

There's a few simple steps you need to do.

1. Click start, run, type cmd, click ok.
2. type "netsh int ip reset all" w/o the quotes and press enter, if nothing fails, you'll get just another command prompt line.
3. type "netsh winsock reset all" w/o the quotes and press enter, when completed, it'll let you know.
4. type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDSN, because your RR service uses a different set of DNS Servers than your AT&T and Earthlink DSL, you need to flush those DSL DSN Server addresses from your system so they aren't trying to be used.
5. Click Start, run, type Control, click ok, in the control panel, double click network connections, find your LAN connection, right click and click properties. In the properties box, scroll down the list and double click on internet protocol (TCP/IP), in the properties box that comes up, make sure both top and bottom options are set to obtain automatically.

6. Reboot the system.

Collapse -
How do you know that?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

Hi again godsgrace1.

How do you know these files are taking up disk space? Tell us what you do, and what applications/software you use both to delete these files, and that tells you these files are still there, and are taking up disk space.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning your procedures, but as we cannot see you or your desktop display, and as there are so many different ways to do this in Windows, you can help us visualize what you do and see by telling us precise steps.

One thought I have. If you just 'delete' files, they then go to the Recycle Bin. Any files in there can be retrieved and restored if need be, but if they are no longer needed, that bin needs to be emptied. Have a look inside the Recycle Bin and see what's there. Whilst files are in there, they are still taking up disk space.

Mark

Collapse -
Something else to consider
by helljack6 / September 21, 2008 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you know that?

As Mark said, deleting files sends them to the recycle bin, but they still take up space until you empty it. Also, once you empty the recycle bin, a HISTORY of your entire recycle bin's session is stored in a hidden system file, c:\Recycler. Tho files in this session aren't reported to the OS as active or active deleted, they still take up space on your drive.

To find these files and further remove them, right click on your start button, click on Explore all Users. IN the window, from the upper left, click tools, Folder Options, IN the folder options box, click the View tab, scroll down the list to hidden system folders and check the box to show. click ok twice and back in the windows explorer window, expand the C drive and you'll see the C:\Recycler folder, select all contents and delete.

Collapse -
deleting unwanted files
by jevenew / September 22, 2008 3:35 AM PDT

Another method I have used to remove some hard to find and hard to remove files is to use a utility called "CCleaner". You can find that at Download.com. It will remove a lot of clutter from your hard drive, especially the .dat files that are no longer needed.

Collapse -
Sandbox
by Renegade Knight / September 24, 2008 4:24 AM PDT

You may want to stary trying to install your demo games into a sand box. When you delete the sand box all the files go 'poof' and are just done.

I'm going to start trying this to limit the DRM/RootKits etc. that games like Spore stick on your computer.

Worst case it doesn't work. Best case it gives you control over your own computer.

Sandboxie is one sandbox you can try. There are others.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?