Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Deleting undeletable files

by Ziks511 / March 28, 2004 1:23 PM PST

I have downloaded a file from a Peer to Peer source that now cannot be deleted. I get a message that the file is in use by some program and that I must close that program. Trouble is its not in use and nothing I can do including Restarting and accessing the file immediately thereafter before it can be accessed by any other program doesn't help. Any ideas??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting undeletable files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting undeletable files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Deleting undeletable files
by ctubbs / March 28, 2004 1:53 PM PST

reboot to command prompt in safe mode, find the offending file and delete it like under DOS. Reboot normally and it should be gone. I have found a few files that are regenerated by another file. If that is the case, then you must find that file and remove it the same way. Worked for me.

Collapse -
by Gregorio51 / March 28, 2004 2:12 PM PST
Collapse -
by kp2h / March 28, 2004 5:07 PM PST

Have you tried restoring your computer to an earlier date before this file was downloaded?

kp2h

Collapse -
by brom107 / March 28, 2004 5:34 PM PST

Hi, I have had this very same problem not more than six weeks ago. I tried renaming the file, but I was not allowed to do so. I rebooted, re-logged in, but nothing would work.

I rebooted into safe mode thinking? I got you now"

Nope. So I went into command prompt DOS window, or reboot into DOS.
You have to be very afraid to make the wrong command here. There is no undo or <CTRL> Z.
You have to know the exact folder the file is in and type exactly the path to the file from the C:\> prompt with DEL(space)FOLDER\FOLDER\ETC\FILENAME.
If you have typed very carefully with proper spelling and spaces press enter. If you have the right path then the file will be seen and you will be asked if you want to delete "x" (y,n).
If the file you want to delete is named then type y, If not then type n. You may have to type the path to your file a few (many) times to get it right, but don't be frustrated, the computer is very exact and so do you have to be.
Another way to get the pathway correct is to right click on the bad file, and while holding down the right click key move the mouse. You will be asked questions.

Chose the question that says create shortcut(s) here. You will then have a shortcut to your bad file. Right click on the shortcut and then chose properties. In the properties box you will find the exact pathway to your file all done for you.
If the pathway is in blue highlight then copy this and paste it into notebook, or WordPad, even Word. Now print it out so you have it on paper when you are in CMD Prompt you can type from the printout. Leave out the" " marks these are not used.
Now you can do as above.
This will delete the file permanently.
Be careful and if you can't do this get someone who can.
Brom107

Collapse -
by pascalsimons / March 28, 2004 5:41 PM PST

make sure you p2p program is not running and that you' re not still downloading the file you're trying to delete. I got a win98/winxp multiboot pc, so if there is something i cannot get rid of in xp i just use 98....

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / March 28, 2004 9:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Should have replied ages ago but life got in the way.
by Ziks511 / April 5, 2005 3:12 PM PDT

Thanks Tufenuf; Move on Boot solved the prob. Great program that remains on my desktop to this day.

Thanks to all who replied, I learned a lot and have bookmarked the info.

Rob Boyter

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?