Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Deleting files from media center in XP Media Edition

by Steven8557 / December 7, 2006 11:45 AM PST

Hi Everyone,

I finally got a new laptop and wanted to transfer my music files from my old computer(Win98SE) to my new one(XP Media Edition). I copied my music onto a portable drive and connected to the laptop, went into media center and I allowed it to search for music. It loaded all my music and it all showed up in the media center. I removed the portable drive. Later I went to play some music and found that the files I transferred are all labeled with an F:drive prefix and won't play unless I connect the portable drive. This will not work for me, so I need to delete all the files and reload them differently into the media center. (I figured out that I had to load my music into my documents and copy from there. It worked for the media player.) My problem is that I loaded 6 gigs of music, and the only way I can find to delete it is to click on the options for each individual song(file). I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to mass delete these files or has any other good suggestions. I am really hoping I won't have to spend endless hours deleting 6 gigs of files one by one from my new laptop. Thanks in advance for any help, tips, links, etc.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting files from media center in XP Media Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting files from media center in XP Media Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure these files are on the computer?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 8:12 PM PST

It seems to me that when you used the Media Center to load the music from your portable drive, all it did was to create a "Playlist". This is just a list of shortcuts to all the files on the portable drive, and not the music files themselves.

If so, all you have to do is open Media Center, and delete that playlist, then start again.

Music files do not have to be stored in your My Documents folder, but can be stored anywhere on your hard disk. To make sure you haven't copied the music files from the portable to the hard disk, use the Search function to search for one of the music files on the hard disk, (eg, without the portable connected). If the search finds the file on the hard disk, then make a note of that folder, navigate to it, and you will find all of your music files in the same folder.

But I don't think they are on the hard disk as I believe you have just created a playlist.

So, delete that playlist from within Media Center, and then copy the files from your portable drive to wherever you want to save them, and point the Media Center to that location.

Collapse -
Deleting media files
by Steven8557 / December 8, 2006 11:15 PM PST

Thanks for the response Mark. The files are on the hard drive. They also loaded onto the Windows Media Player 11. I click on a song in the player, and 2 songs with the same name pop up. I click on Properties and 1 will list C:\My Documents\song title and the other will list F:\My Songs\song title. I found that if go into the Media Center and click Playlists, I have none. I go to the album, delete it, and its gone. What I was looking for was some global command like "delete F:\My Songs*.* " . I guess I'll just delete album by album (569 of them). Appreciate the idea anyway.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?