General discussion

Deleting files

In my System Configuration Utility I have things that I have no idea what they are.I know I don't need most of it. I am pretty much a newbie,is there an easy way to get rid of these programs?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Deleting files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Deleting files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Jessaruley, Instructions For Removing Start Up Programs
- Collapse -
Deleting start up programs

What I was wondering is there any way to delete them form the list completly, totaly take it out of the start up list.

- Collapse -
Jess, Why ? And Are You Referring To Just 'msconfig'?

Also...which operating system are you using?

The problem with simply removing them from the registry which would remove them from the System Configuration Utility is that many programs will simply put them back again.

Do you have any specific program in mind? Let us know. Some programs allow an option within their "Preferences" section to remove it from start up.

If there are programs that you no longer want on the computer, uninstall them. That will remove them from the start up list. If you've already uninstalled the program from the computer but the entry still remains in the msconfig "Start Up" list, then there are registry entries that you can delete, but we'll need to know for sure you've got that particular problem. But since you have described yourself as a "newbie" I recommend that you simply follow the instructions listed earlier. Delete the shortcuts from the Start-Programs-Start Up folder, UNCHECK items from "Msconfig", and disable the "Services" if you're using Windows 2000 or XP.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Deleting Startup programs

Yes they are programs that I have deleted and still remain in the startup list. I have gone to Syisinfo.org/startuplist.php and looked them all up and a few of them were spyware that I got rid of. Is it as easy as going to 'regedit' and typing in under find and deleting only that folder?

- Collapse -
Jess, Try This...

It would sure help if we knew your operating system...

A couple of places to look for the remaining items in "msconfig":

Remember, whenever making registry edits, make a backup using the instructions below:

IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE, BE CAREFUL. Click on Start-Run. When the box opens type in "Regedit" (without the quotes). Click Ok. When the Registry Editor window opens, Click on "Registry" in the upper left corner of the window, (choose "File" in later versions of Windows) choose "Export Registry File". When the next window opens, be sure of the location where you are saving it to and give the file a name like Backup. Click "Save". You now have a backup registry that can be double clicked and will replace the new one you?re going to make, IF you make any deletions you don't like.

If there are any uninstalled program remnants in the "Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs" section:
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/110/

And on Windows 98/ME, there look for uninstalled items that were UNCHECKED in "msconfig" in the registry at either of the paths below. Delete the value entries listing on the right side (NOT the entire folder) that includes the uninstalled program. DON'T delete the "Default" value entry.:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run- (that's Run minus)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-

ON Windows XP, the msconfig UNCHECKED items are normally located at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\

If there are remaining programs in the "OpenWith" list, then instructions below should help:

This works in Windows ME/2K/XP.

Click on Start > Run > regedit
Navigate to this path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\
- Find the extension for the filetype which has a cluttered "Open With" menu.
- Now goto the "OpenWithList" folder and delete the entries for software you no longer want to appear...

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article05-128

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win95/t1008775093

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Yes, there is...

and it is a thrid party utility that is far superior to MSCONFIG.

You can download it from this link (I recommend the stand alone executable):
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

It allows you to either add, disable, enable or delete "Start up" items whether they be in the "Start up" folder or in one of the Registry Keys.

BEFORE you go to deleting them however check each application and see if the application itself has an option to enable or disable auto start as that is the surest way to avoid the application resetting itself to autostart.

CNET Forums

Forum Info