Computer Help forum

General discussion

Deleting files

by DawnW / August 24, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

Hi: My disk space is running low, and I ran across something called Wiper Wizard. I ran the program and it says that I have 541 junk files. They all say the reason is "invalid file type." It is $20.00 to purchase this program to erase them. Does anyone know anything about this, and if it would be worth it, or is there something free I could try? I do not know very much about computers, but I do regularly delete the cookies and temporary internet files, and have good virus protection. I have not been able to run the disk defrag lately as it says I do not have enough disk space. I have went through and erased any unneeded programs already. I paid $100.00 to add disk space already to my computer last year, and do not want to do that again. The main thing is all of the software that I had to install for school. It is taking up lots of space. Any suggestions?

Thanks much - Dawn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Deleting files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Deleting files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dawn, No Need To Spend The Money...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Deleting files

Simply use the steps in the links below:

If you're using Windows XP per your forum profile, then leave the .chk files where they are.
How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Next, open the C\Windows\Prefetch folder and delete all files inside. Restarting the computer will recreate them.

Next, follow the procedures in the link below to "Tidy Up After SP2".

http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks!
by DawnW / August 24, 2005 12:17 PM PDT

Grif: Thank you so much for your help! I have been working on this and cannot believe the amount of files that I found. I also ran across a few things that I am thinking is spyware: Altnet, BDInternet Billing, Gator, tons of Wild Tangent stuff, Cydoor, Comet Cursors, Keen Value, LookMe, Minibug, mywaymybar, nCase. My kids have games installed on the computer. Are any of these for games, or all spyware?

One other thing, my printer ink is going out and when I printed off the instructions I did not notice the part about not erasing the .chk files, as it did not print right. I erased them from the recycle bin also. Will this matter? My computer seems to be running great.

Again, thanks so much for your help. Dawn

Collapse -
Dwan, Most Of That Is Spyware...NOT Good!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

...and it clogs up the works.

In regards to the .chk files, it's not a big deal. They will get replaced and should work fine.

Wild Tangent produces games and some brand name computers, like HP and Compaq use those games. ALL of the other stuff is spyware and should be removed. They install a lot of files and take up space as well as resources and internet bandwidth. It's best to clean it all out. Here's how.

Download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Thanks again!
by DawnW / August 24, 2005 2:26 PM PDT

I am working on the things you said to do now. I really appreciate the help. This forum is wonderful! It is great that you and the others are willing to take the time to help people out. Dawn

Collapse -
For $100 ...
by Kees Bakker / August 24, 2005 7:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Deleting files

you should have gotten a new disk of at least 100 Gb smaller ones hardly exist anymore). And it's really ridiculous that that's full again so fast.

I would recommend you download one the two programs below to keep an eye on where the diskspace is being used. No need to say, I think, it is foolish to delete things just because they take space, and it surely is necessary to know what you do, but tools like this are useful to get a better picture of your system. You can always turn here for advice, of course.

Two programs showing diskspace graphically:
- clduw from http://sourceforge.net/projects/scrapware.
- i.disk from http://www.snapfiles.com/get/idisk.html (only LOOK, don't use it to delete files)
There must be a lot of other comparable programs, but I find these two free ones to be good enough for the purpose of keeping an eye on your system.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks!
by DawnW / August 25, 2005 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: For $100 ...

I did not know anything like this existed. I see that the majority of my disk space is for software I need for school. It takes up a huge amount!
Thanks again -Dawn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.