HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

deleting cookies,temp files and such

by Glennzzcomputer / August 5, 2010 4:54 PM PDT

I run a PC Laptop, HP6510B. My question is why some temp files, cookies and prefetch folder files will not delete, even well I dont have any programs open.
Do you think these can be trojans or other viruses hiding in these folders and immune to deletion? or are they more likely related to programs that are kind of running in the background?

Glenn

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: deleting cookies,temp files and such
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: deleting cookies,temp files and such
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Temp files
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 9:12 PM PDT

Some temp files are created as soon as you start the computer. They cannot normally be deleted until the next session.

Yes trojan installer files can hide in these folders but any good anti-virus and anti-malware scanners can find these and neutralise them.

Many use a dedicated temp file remover, and for Windows users we often recommend CCleaner from http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner . It will delete all temp files, all Temporary Internet Folder files, all unwanted cookies, (you can tag favorite cookies to prevent them from being deleted), and other cleanup options.

Mark

Collapse -
deleting cookies,temp files and such - trojans a spyware
by Glennzzcomputer / August 5, 2010 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Temp files

thanks Mark, I'll track those that don't delete from one session to the next. How about those trojans and files that can get access to your computer while you are on line. I believe that good hackers and such can easily navigate around the standard security software most of us use. How can you find out if there's a trojan in your system that your anti virus security cannot detect? It may seem like a funny question, but most of us don't know enough about how and where these kinds of malevolent files hide themselves. It would be good if ordinary users could learn to do some of their own detective work inside their system. Is there an online 'classroom' where you can learn about how these things work so you can be more on top of keeping your computer running without unwanted interference? thanks

Collapse -
What I do.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 3:10 AM PDT

There are plenty of "How to's" around the internet, it is just a question of finding the right terms to use when searching in Google or your favorite search engine. But after a while you tend to learn for yourself and pick up tips and tricks, perhaps from forums like these. I know I did.

We can never be completely secure, but we can use methods and utilities to help us. What I do;

1] A firewall is essential. It won't stop the determined hacker, but then we are not the Pentagon or Fort Knox, and we are unlikely to be targeted except by robots who trawl the internet looking for vulnerable systems. A firewall can help maks us from those.

2] An always running, fully up to date, anti-virus scanner. They can be free or purchased. Set a scheduled scan; for example, my AV scans every day at 17:30. Only one anti-virus as more than one will cause them to fight each other.

3] AV's do not catch everything, so consider a couple of anti-malware scanners. No need for these to run continuously in the background, but run them once or twice a week to scan the system. We often recommend Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and SUPERAntispyware.

4] No P2P file sharing. That is, no torrents, Limewire, anything like that. Not only is the legailty questionable, but also downloaded files may contain malware.

5] Never open email attachments direct from the email. Save the attachment to the hard drive, then scan it with your AV. Most AV's insert a right click mouse option to scan files with.

6] Manage spam. Do not open spam emails and never reply to them. Even previewing them is not desired. Don't trust any email you don't know who the sender is.

7] Following Jimmy's TIPS FOR A PROBLEM FREE COMPUTING EXPERIENCE will help enormously.

Mark

Collapse -
Jimmy's tips
by squeekieann / August 9, 2010 2:52 PM PDT
In reply to: What I do.

I would like to know if I can get a copy of Jimmy's Tips for a problem free computing experience By Mark Flax.I would really like to have a copy.

Collapse -
Easy.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 9, 2010 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Jimmy's tips

Open Jimmy's post from the link I gave, then drag your mouse over the text, copy, then paste into your favorite text utility or word processor.

Mark

Collapse -
Deleting TMP and COOKIES
by limaship / August 6, 2010 11:19 AM PDT

You can?t delete them because they are running in memory,you have
programs oppened and files are in use.
Try to run PC in Safe Mode,and you?ll be abble to delete all files you
need to.
Best regards
Armando Lima
Portugal

Collapse -
Deleting TMP and COOKIES
by Glennzzcomputer / August 6, 2010 2:43 PM PDT

thanks for your help Armando, much appreciate the tip : )

Collapse -
zombie cookies can "rise from the dead"
by porsche10x / August 7, 2010 12:50 AM PDT

If you have cookies that reappear after being deleted, it could be a flash player issue. Adobe flash player has its own proprietary cookie system that is independent of your browser's. Some less than scrupulous web sites use flash cookies to reconstitute the normal browswer cookies after deletion. These zombie cookies can be used to track personal information. There's a class action suit against online market statistics company, Quantcast and affiliates (including MySpace, ABC, ESPN, MTV, NBC Universal, Hulu, JibJab, and others) for using zombie cookies to override users' cookie management and collecting significant amounts of personal data through tracking cookies. You can delete flash cookies using ccleaner mentioned above, or with the free, flash cookies cleaner 1.2.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.