Computer Help forum

General discussion

deleting an "undeletablle" file?

Hope I can find some help here....have read various responses to my problem but most of them do not seem to work. First my computer does have the XP Professional. Anyway it seems that on CD Drive E, listed under "Temporary Files to be Written of the CD I have this file which has 0 bytes. Not sure where it came from but it was renamed. If I try to do anything with it I get the error message box "Cannot delete [name of file]..: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." I have tried defragging, the MoveonBoot method, deleting in the Safe mode and no luck. It is an annoyance, there's is nothing there but it seems to block the ability to write anything for DC Drive E also? Also my computer does have Norton Ghost and is there anyway I might can use that to help? Did notice on Norton Ghost a recovery point of 45 days back or something (& the problem was not there that long ago). I don't know?

Can there be some help please?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: deleting an "undeletablle" file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: deleting an "undeletablle" file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried checkdisk to check for errors?

In reply to: deleting an "undeletablle" file?

Collapse -
Link, comment.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php and the links there lead you to how to solve the staged files issue. However I don't use the native XP CD Recording since I found it to be buggy at times.

I use CDBURNERXP instead.

Bob
Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Link, comment.

Thanks, I'll look at that site next, just got finished w/ the checkdisk and unfortunately no luck there?

Collapse -
Re: checkdisk

In reply to: Re:

A trick that works most of the time is deleting the folder the file is in, then rebuild the folder.
And, just to check, if the delete doesn't work you might be able to drag it away with your mouse to some temp folder that you can delete?

But this special staging file might be protected against delete.
Or just as well it's possible that you can delete it and it will be recreated automatically at reboot (after all it's in the Documents and Settings of each individual user, so it isn't something fixed when installing Windows XP).
Or maybe you can delete it, but the manual rebuilded one won't have the right properties so the native XP write doesn't work anymore. I wouldn't consider the last a real problem: use a real burning program or see if it is included in TweakUI's options to reset the properties of the special folders.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: Re: checkdisk

Not sure I understand this? I do know that I'm unable to move the file (or delete or rename) w/o getting an error block sayin that the specified file cannot be found. I have absolutely no idea what it's extension is either?

Collapse -
W#hat I suggested was ...

Delete the folder that contains the file. That's C:\Documents and Settings\Kim\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning according to your post below. If it doesn't work try it in Safe Mode or - if really necessary - from the recovery console.

The alternative would be to create a new user account (like Kim, say Kim2), move all your files except this one (that you can't move), redo some settings and finally delete the old user Kim. That's a feasible operation.

Kees

Collapse -
You might try this...

Whenever I get a file that I cannot delete I do this (and I learned this from one of the moderators about a year ago):
Start the computer in Safe Mode
Go to the file and right click and go to "Properties" A window will come up with 3 tabs
Click the Security Tab
From there you can "take control" of the file
Sometimes I have to type in the word "Everyone".
Close out Properties and right click the file. It should now delete. I'm not a Tech or even real computer knowledgeable but this has always worked for me.

Collapse -
Re:

In reply to: You might try this...

This didn't seem to work either? When I right click on the file, nothing happens? The entire file name is C:\Documents and Settings\Kim\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\AhhhhhOhhh... but it contains 0 bytes and I cannot seem to rename, move, delete or even copy it? I can bring up the folder if that means anything?

Collapse -
Check this link...

Collapse -
Finally solved

In reply to: Check this link...

Found the only way to get rid of that thing was to restore back (using my Norton Ghost thing) to a time before the problem arose. Of course had to download some things again but that was no problem. I thank everyone for trying to help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.